Sign in to follow this  
Qonquerer

Disc Stuck In Ps3

Will    1

Lol, think you made a mistake in the title there Qonquerer...

Also, not sure what the problem is, I've never had any problems with my PS3 so I wouldn't really know.

Lunacy    0

I had this same thing happen to me when my friend knocked it over while the game was just starting up. It was making horrible noises and I figured it was toast, so I took out the harddrive and was hoping I could salvage what was on it then put it on my new PS3. Then I decided to wait, put it back in, and put the console flat on the floor instead of standing it up, and it worked fine.

Will    1

Yeah, it's actually quite amazing how durable the PS3 is. Especially compared to some other consoles out there... >_>

Will    1

Lol yeah, I saw it and I was like "...How the hell did THAT happen?"

Lunacy    0

I have my PS3 set up beside my PS2, which is set up beside my PS1. Once upon a time, my dog was freaking out and tried to jump all three and make it to the bed, but knocked over the PS3, which fell onto and knocked over the PS2, which fell onto the PS1.

And they're all perfectly fine. My launch day PS3 may have a few scratches here and there, but either you use it or you leave it in the box to show off. One of the two.

Will    1

I agree, but why do you have all 3 set up? I can understand the PS2 if you don't have the 60G PS3, but both the PS2 and the PS3 can play PS1 games. Is it for show or what?

Edited by Will

Lunacy    0

I have the backwards compatible 60 GB PS3, but the PS2 and PS1 are both set up for... shall we say, nefarious nautical sailor purposes. If you catch my drift.

Will    1

I have the backwards compatible 60 GB PS3, but the PS2 and PS1 are both set up for... shall we say, nefarious nautical sailor purposes. If you catch my drift.

Oh you!

And that's awesome qonquerer, I think there were even fewer 80G BC models. Shame they had to remove the feature to cut production costs (or at least I think that's why they did it, I can't think of any other reason why they would unless it was so that they could still profit a little bit more from the PS2). Still, I'm satisfied with mine even if it doesn't have BC, as my PS2 is still more than capable of playing games.

Lunacy    0

Word on the internet is that Sony is in talks with Sega to get Dreamcast and Sega published PS2 games onto the PSN. Which would mean PS3 playing PS2 games. Word in the patent office is that Sony has patented a type of software emulation that would allow non-BC PS3s to play PS2 games.

Put the two together, and what do you get? Backwards compatibility the day Sony can make a profit off of it. Everyone wins, right?

Will    1

Yeah, everybody except the consumer. I heard about that patent as well, it's unfortunate that they're still trying to milk everything they can from the PS2, but honestly, do you expect anything else? Still, they're not nearly as bad as Microsoft in that regard, and considering the success of the PS2, I can't really blame them.

Lunacy    0

I don't see it as milking the PS2 - I'm someone with a gigantic library of PS2 games I love playing. In fact, the vast majority of the time I've invested in my PS3 is with PS2 games. Sure, I've got a pretty good amount of PS3 games, but I've gotta work through all the sweet jRPGs I never got around to before now...

Then again, I'm assuming that patent would mean everyone gets to play their PS2 games, without having to pay for and download them. Coming from that perspective, everyone wins. From the perspective of possibly having to pay for games you already legally own, well, chances are you have a PS2 laying around anyway. I'm all for the Dreamcast games, though, because seriously where are you going to find those? And Dreamcast emulators are still a pain, because nobody ever thought loading from an iso would be useful.

Will    1

Well, when I said that I thought that you meant that Sony would let you buy PS2 games from the PSN store and then play them, but not be able to play them from an actual disc. But thinking back on it, I'm not even really sure if that's possible. But either way, if they could chances are they would. Although you can imagine the backlash from PS3 owners if that happened.

And I've never used a Dreamcast emulator, but I would imagine it's not that much different from a PS1 emulator, which works just fine.

Lunacy    0

If they DID add the functionality, like a software emulation of the Emotion Engine (the PS2's engine), but locked it just to games you had bought through PSN... Someone would crack it eventually. Nintendo updates the Wii firmware, there's a fix later in the day.

The problem with Dreamcast/Saturn emulators is that NONE of them load from .iso's, or any other filetype. You have to either a) be using the emulator for a legal game, B) burn the game, or c) mount the .iso every time you want to play. Meh. It's not horrible, and there's less hassle than the PS1/2 emulators because if I remember right there are no plugins to fool around with, but I'd really like to be able to load from .iso.

Will    1

If they DID add the functionality, like a software emulation of the Emotion Engine (the PS2's engine), but locked it just to games you had bought through PSN... Someone would crack it eventually. Nintendo updates the Wii firmware, there's a fix later in the day.

The problem with Dreamcast/Saturn emulators is that NONE of them load from .iso's, or any other filetype. You have to either a) be using the emulator for a legal game, B) burn the game, or c) mount the .iso every time you want to play. Meh. It's not horrible, and there's less hassle than the PS1/2 emulators because if I remember right there are no plugins to fool around with, but I'd really like to be able to load from .iso.

Yes, you're right I suppose, but you have to remember that the Wii is ridiculously easy to mod, especially compared to the PS3. No one's really do anything with the PS3 up to this point, although I believe that's largely due to the Blu-ray format it employs. It's certainly possible that they could crack the software and such.

And ichigo, I can't tell if you're trolling or not.