Will

What Books Have You Read Recently?

Will    1

Lately I've been into Dean Koontz, and it shows. In the past month I've read three of his books, Life Expectancy, Phantoms, and The Taking. All of them are excellent books, which is to be expected from Koontz. Personally, I liked The Taking the best. I literally had to force myself to put this book down whenever I had to do something. I highly recommend it (and the other two as well)to anybody who is a fan of science fiction or thrillers.

Another book I've read recently is Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk, better known as the author of Fight Club (yes, the movie was based off this novel). A word of warning if you actually decide to read Haunted though: This book is INSANE. Palahniuk certainly does not hold back, and it shows in virtually every part of the book. You are going to be disgusted by something, if not the vast majority of this book. However, this is also exactly what makes the book so great. The sheer insanity fit the story so well that you can't help but be drawn in by it.

So, what books have you read recently? I'm interested to see what everyone here enjoys.

Oh, and one last thing about Haunted...

If you're really interested in what exactly I mean by the craziness of it, go here and read this: http://chuckpalahniuk.net/books/haunted/haunted-guts

Edited by Will

Lunacy    0

Hmm, recently I've been working my way through Toll the Hounds - Steven Erikson, in preparation for Dust of Dreams which comes out soon. Aside from that I've been reading for school.

That's not very interesting, though, so before that I was reading World War Z, before that Scott Pilgrim. Both excellent, something everyone should enjoy, although I wouldn't recommend Steven Erikson for the average person. World War Z is about the World War against Zombies, and Scott Pilgrim is an excellent comic about life and video games and stuff. Definitely worth checking out.

Will    1

Hmm, recently I've been working my way through Toll the Hounds - Steven Erikson, in preparation for Dust of Dreams which comes out soon. Aside from that I've been reading for school.

That's not very interesting, though, so before that I was reading World War Z, before that Scott Pilgrim. Both excellent, something everyone should enjoy, although I wouldn't recommend Steven Erikson for the average person. World War Z is about the World War against Zombies, and Scott Pilgrim is an excellent comic about life and video games and stuff. Definitely worth checking out.

Not so sure about the Erikson books, but both World War Z and Scott Pilgrim sound interesting, I may have a look at them.

Lunacy    0

Yeah, Erikson's books are pretty insular. Either you like them or you don't, and most people who would like them already love them :P

George R. R. Martin is in a similar vein of epic fantasy, but only slightly less love/hate than Erikson. Here's to hoping the tv show gets popular, though.

The Kingmaker, Kingbreaker series by Karen Miller is a more traditional fantasy series, she just started a new trilogy in the same world, if I remember correctly. It's only two books, but there's a lot of attention to detail in regards to culture and backstory. It's a slightly different take on fantasy from the usual action-oriented male stuff, and there's a lot of political stuff, personal stuff (some romance, some friend stuff) and general build up all the way through to the epic ending.

On the other side of the spectrum, there's Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks, which has as much detail as Miller's books, but there's a lot more magical stuff (which seems weird when the Kingmaker, Kingbreaker books are all about magic) and fighting kind of detail. So, written by a guy, more action, sprinkling of sexiness, more fast-paced.

Erikson and Martin completely blow them both out of the water when it comes to detail, Martin with characters (going so far as to have family crests and mottos for everyone) and Erikson with plot. But the writing is very different from what most people are used to, as opposed to more traditional fantasy like Miller and Weeks.

World War Z is the "sequel" to The Zombie Survival Guide, also by Max Brooks, but only in that the details about the zombies and how to fight them is the same. The Zombie Survival Guide is hilarious and awesome, whereas World War Z is like an amazing radio drama with some sly references to an in-universe Zombie Survival Guide.

Scott Pilgrim is chock full of old-school video game references and jokes, but none of the humour is based on those. They'd make you laugh if you noticed because it's like "man, I thought nobody remembered that," but the books don't rely on them at all. It's an epic tale of love, loss, rock and roll, and silly slice of life moments. If the premise of a guy having to fight his girlfriend's evil exes doesn't sound hilarious to begin with, chances are there's no hope for you, but I have yet to meet someone who read them and didn't enjoy them.

Will    1

Personally I've never really been a fan of the whole epic fantasy genre. There are a couple of notable exceptions (The Sword of Shannara and the Mistborn series especially). Generally I'm more of a science fiction and thriller guy myself.

Also, on an unrelated yet related note, just finished reading The Last Book in the Universe. Not the longest book, but a very enjoyable read, in my opinion.

Sachiko    0

Looking forward to the movie based on Scott Pilgrim, even though I never read those books. I'm into Stephen King, right now I'm still reading 'Duma Key', gonna take me a while, lol. Last thing I finished was his collection of short stories, 'Skeleton Crew'

Will    1

Stephen King is overrated, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, he's okay, but I think there are plenty of guys out there better than him. That being said, I do like several of his books, namely The Tommyknockers, The Stand, and Misery.

Sachiko    0

Oh sure, he's never going to be considered 'classic', he even knows not to take himself to seriously.

I love those books you mentioned. He kind of got in his own distrust of government and issues with substance abuse and radiation and a lot of other things in them, and he's really good at it. Some of his best stuff is the either really huge works, or the short story collections xp.

Try to read 'Cell' if you have a chance. It's got a very Romero/zombie-esque/post apocolyptic feel to it, kind of like crossing 'Night of the Living Dead' with 'The Stand' It's not too long either which makes for great weekend reading.

Also, the Southern Vampires Series by Charlaine Harris, it's what True Blood on HBO is based on. If you liked that tv series, you'll adore the books. :wub:

Will    1

Hmm, I'll be sure to check Cell out, in fact I almost checked it out when I went to the library the other day, decided on something else instead. I'm actually going back today, so I'll probably get it then.

Also, I don't like vampires in general. They've just never interested me at all.

Lunacy    0

Ah, I read all of the Shannara books. The Word and Void trilogy were my favourites, Genesis of Shannara was alright, but started going back towards generic fantasy again.

It was so long between Eldest and Brisingr that I couldn't read it. I vaguely remember some of the things that happened, but I have the book sitting here collecting dust because I'll never have the heart to bother with it.

Will    1

I personally found the original Sword of Shannara trilogy to be my favorite, followed closely by the Word and Void series. I haven't actually read the Genesis series, was thinking about looking them up not too long ago. Are they worth at least a read through?

Also, I'm a fan of the Inheritance Cycle, so not long before Brisingr came out, I reread Eragon and Eldest. I liked how Paolini had an entire chapter devoted solely to crafting a sword in Brisingr, that's not something you see very often, and I enjoyed it.

Lunacy    0

The Genesis books are very good, a halfway point between Sword of Shannara and Word and Void, both in terms of story and writing. I liked them a lot more than I did the middle books in the whole series, where I was getting a little tired of reading them. The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara and High Druid trilogies were a breath of fresh air, for me at least.

I think my favourite moment in Eragon/Eldest was his brother's speech to convince the people in the town to leave. I could picture that so vividly in my head, it was the most epic and inspiring speech I've ever read in a fantasy book... And I've read a lot of them :P

Will    1

Well, I'll check out the Genesis books then, thanks. I also agree with you about the middle series of books, although I still enjoyed them.

And Roran was great in Eldest. I was actually surprised that he played such a big role, considering he only had a minor part in Eragon. There were times when I was more excited about what Roran and the other villagers were doing than I was about Eragon.

I might get alot of flack for this but the last book(s) I read was Breaking Dawn (the final twilight series book, having read the 3 previous ones before said final book (obviously)). I rather liked the general storyline with some points being outlandish. Overall a rather good book.

Will    1

I might get alot of flack for this but the last book(s) I read was Breaking Dawn (the final twilight series book, having read the 3 previous ones before said final book (obviously)). I rather liked the general storyline with some points being outlandish. Overall a rather good book.

facepalm.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Rukia Umehara   
Guest Rukia Umehara

I read ''Das Zombie Handbuch'' translated : The Zombie guidebook.

I liked it! It's not really know and not really a story but it's actually very funny! *will always have a candle and hair tie with her from now on!*

I've always been a Dean Koontz fan and I love all his work. I recently got Frankenstein by him and just like all his other works, its hard to put down. One of my recent favorite by him would have to Whispers. It was just so twisted and strange. There were many times were I felt a little werid reading it but that's what makes such a good book! :lol: I'm also a reader of James Patterson though I haven't been able to read anything recent by him which is a shame since I love his work, even the Maximum Ride series wasn't too bad for a teen novel. :)

Saint Greed    8

A recent book? Hmm....it may sound weird but I 've just finished reading

Mein Kampf of Adolph Hitler.

It was really interesting...with Hitler's explanations I understood some reasons of World War II.

It's not too accessible into reading but it's ok...if you don't fall into Hitler's ideology ;)

A recent book? Hmm....it may sound weird but I 've just finished reading

Mein Kampf of Adolph Hitler.

It was really interesting...with Hitler's explanations I understood some reasons of World War II.

It's not too accessible into reading but it's ok...if you don't fall into Hitler's ideology ;)

I read The Book Thief not long ago. All about Germany and World War II and stuff. It was interesting.

The last book I read was The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis.

fuyumi ono kingdoms series

darren chan-vampire aprendice

Read The way of the shadow, one of the three trilogy books dark angel, and Acheron, one of the dark hunter series. One thing in common is that they're all mature books xD, though plenty of fiction and battles are pretty good. I enjoyed the dark senses in both books, now I'm reading a murder book atm, I'll post as to what it is later on. n.n

isara    0

The Book Désirée, by Annemarie Selinko

I love this book so much

i read this a book about 15 times

Saint Greed    8

My last books?

Asimov's "Nightfall'

Second time reading, still makes me shiver.

Then...

Dostoievsky's "Karamazov brothers"

First time reading it. I wanted this book so much, but long time i couldn't find it. :blush: