Sign in to follow this  
Kaz

The Twins of Ice and Flame

900 Years before the present

The Soul Society. The land of the Soul Reapers. The land where the spirits of those who have passed come to begin anew. Most souls that find themselves in the Soul Society come together to form families. There are some, unfortunately, who are not as fortunate to find a family. The twins, Daisuke and Matsuri, are prime examples of this. The two children arrived in the Soul Society alone, a tragic fate in their human lives sending them there. Given that they arrived within the first district of Rukongai, Junrinan, it was expected that they would be integrated in the makeshift families that the district was comprised of. However, many of the citizens in the Rukongai were wary of them. Not because of their actions or their heritage, but because of their immense power and frightening potential. The two of them subconsciously leaked their reiatsu every passing moment. For Daisuke, the leaked reiatsu would manifest as searing heat. Matsuri, on the other hand generated, extremely cold and near sub-zero temperatures. Oddly enough, their powers never affected the other. Along with the varying temperatures, the leaked reiatsu would attract the attention of hollows. The fear of being attacked lead people to stay away from them. Children were forbade to play with them. So, the twins fought to survive; stealing and doing whatever they could to make ends meet. It was a harsh way of life but, for the time being, it was all they had.

Thunder roared in the distance as rain drizzled down from the heavens. It was the first day in a few weeks that they didn’t experience the near torrential rains. Matsuri sat underneath a small hut of scrap metal and discarded paper with a thin dirty blanket covering her. She shivered as she rubbed her hands together to keep warm. Daisuke made his way underneath the hut with her, quickly making his way underneath the shared blanket. His leaking reiatsu made the inside of the blanket just a tad warmer. It was just enough for Matsuri stop her shivering. “Here sis. Eat up.” He said as he handed her the apple he swiped from the market down the road. Nodding, she quickly bit into the apple as she let the juices flow freely down the side of her mouth. “I wish this rain would end.” She mumbles between bites. Upon finishing her apple, the two sat in silence as they watched people scurry into their homes. The same warm, safe abodes the two of them longed to have. The pangs of being wanted tore at their hearts. As the two of them watched the people pass, they saw them. A man and a woman out on a night’s stroll. The woman wore elegant clothing, an oddity given the current weather they were experiencing. She had a light pink umbrella dangling over her shoulder with a warm smile on her face. The man next to her was a soul reaper. He was dressed in the standard soul reaper clothing with a badge tied around his right arm. The two of them had never seen a soul reaper before; having only heard about them and their exploits from rumors and small talk. Typically, soul reapers meant something bad was about to happen. “I’m scared.” Matsuri whispered as she moved closer towards her brother. He instinctively put his arm around her and moved to the back of the hut in an attempt to avoid the couple's attention. As the two walked by the hut, the siblings could hear bits and pieces of their conversation. Idle chatter about the peace and serenity the Soul Society was currently experiencing. Suddenly, the woman stopped dead in her tracks and glanced at the hut behind her. She motioned towards her male companion before heading back over towards the hut. Matsuri squeezed her brother’s arm as the woman knelt down and peeked inside. “Hello there. Why are you two sitting in the rain?” Matsuri slumped underneath the blanket as Daisuke instinctively moved to cover her. “We don’t have anywhere else to go.” Daisuke said angrily. “You two don’t have a family here?” “No. No one wants to take care of us. They're all scared. They say we are curses and bring evil monsters because we can’t control these stupid powers. We didn't ask for this and we get treated like shit for it. Just go away like everyone else!” A searing wave of heat radiated out from within the hut, forcing the woman to take a quick step back. “I see… That explains what I felt” The soul reaper said as he knelt down towards the woman. His smile was just as warm as hers with a sense of compassion. “I could sense someone was leaking out reiatsu. I thought it might be a few Shinigami in the area but this... I would have never expected it to come from you two. Such incredible power." Matsuri peaked out from underneath the blanket, never keeping her eyes off of the two in front of them. “They are so young..." the woman said as she began to trail off from her words. Her eyes reflected deep sadness and understanding. "My name is Haruka…Haruka Sato. And this is my husband Jun. Would you two like to come with us? You can live with us. Right, Jun?" The soul reaper chuckled and extended his hand inside the small hut. "She's right. You both can live with us. You can even learn how to control those powers of yours. If you want to of course." Hearing this, Daisuke looked down towards his sister whose face was full of hope. For so long she's wanted to be free from this situation they found themselves in. To have a home. A family. A family who would care for them. Daisuke could see the look in her eyes. He knew what her answer was. With his sister holding on tightly, the two reached towards the soul reaper.

WC: 994

• Like 1

500 Years before the present

At long last, the day had arrived. Daisuke ran his fingers excitedly over the white and blue of his student's hakama, his gaze straying across the grounds of what was possibly the biggest building he had ever seen. His long silver hair flowed in the wind as he tightly grasped at the sash around his chest. In the years that had passed since Daisuke and Matsuri were adopted by the Sato’s, they never ventured far from their estate. They had food, warmth, and most importantly a loving home. That’s all they needed and all they wanted. Over time, with training from Jun, they managed to gain some sort of control over their reiatsu. While it still leaked out violently, it no longer caused intense heat or frigid cold unless they wished it. While this enabled them to potentially gain a sense of a normal life over the years, they longed for something more. With that, it was decided.

"Well?" A voice from behind him said as a firm hand is placed on his shoulder. Daisuke glances back to see Jun smile at him warmly, his eyes full of pride. Jun had retired from his Shinigami duties a few years before, citing old age as his reason. He’d held the position of third seat of the Eighth Division for many centuries eventually becoming its lieutenant for the last four. He had become a valued and highly respected asset of the Gotei 13. So much so that both the former and current Captain of the division still keep in contact with him. Now he longed for the quiet life to sit back and enjoy the successes of his children. "I was wondering if you were going to stand and stare all day." Jun said teasingly as he ruffled Daisuke’s hair. “Sorry father. I’m just jittery. We’ve waited for so long for the opportunity to join the academy. Now the day is finally here and….” “You’ll be fine. Don’t worry.” Jun said as he cut him off. His words, much like they were during their first meeting, eased his fears and erased his doubts. “Regardless, I’m glad you are excited about this. After this, I’ll no longer be your teacher. I’ve taught you both all the basics and even a few things here and there that I probably shouldn’t have shown you. You’ve done exceptionally well to this point. The two of you will be onto bigger and brighter things. Have better instructors than I could ever be. Don’t let me down.” “We’ll always cherish your guidance and wisdom. I'm pretty sure I can speak for Matsuri when I say that we’ll do everything in our power to honor your name, position and all of your teachings. We are where we are now because of you and mother. I promise, we will not let you down.” A lone tear rolled down his eye as he quickly adjusted and stares out at the horizon. "That's enough for me, then." Jun smiled with sadness in his eyes. “You worry too much Dai. It’s just a school.” Matsuri said as she walked up behind the two. Her light blue hair rests upon her shoulders as she moved beside her taller brother. She casually handed him a small bag with the lunch he absentmindedly forgot at home. “Mom knew you’d forget the lunch so she had me bring it. All this trouble over the first day at the academy.” “Oh! Says the one who frantically paced around last night terrified about how the first day will go. ‘I don’t know about this Dai. I’m worried.’ And you have the nerve to pick at me.” “Shut it. It was a momentary lapse.” The two siblings bickered between one another as Jun watched on. "I’m eternally grateful to you both. You’ve given our lives purpose…” he whispered as he beams at the two with pride. Jun sighed deeply, he places a hand on each of their backs and gently pushes forward as he steps back. “This is where we part. I’m incredibly proud of you both. Listen to your instructors and do your best. If you happen to see Captain Kaeru, Captain Zikrud, my old friend Jinno, or any of the other Captains or lieutenants, be on your best behavior. Haruka and I expect a letter whenever you are able. Come back home in one piece and as full-fledged Shinigami.” The twins bid their farewells and watched as the man they’ve identified as their father walked into the distance. As his figure slowly fades from view, the two stood in silence. After a few moments, Matsuri broke the silence that lingered between the two. “This is it huh? We’re back on our own trying carve on own path in this world we’ve found ourselves in.” “Not quite. It’s different this time. This time, we aren’t alone.

WC: 807

• Like 1