Egriffiend

Egriffiend's Night of Wailing [Event Arc]

On the evening of October 31st a thick harrowing mist will yet again engulf the grounds of the old Karakura Cemetery for the third year in a row. On this night alone, it is said that lost souls of the dead --stirred awake by the mist's mysterious paranormal powers-- wail and lament their own misfortune. Their cries can be heard from sunset until dawn. Countless souls, brave and curious alike, have dared to enter the mist on the Night of Wailing, none have ever returned. The mist claims all, the dead and the living, indiscriminately.

Soul Society Report: Our intelligence shows that if the past two years are anything to go by, the Night of Wailing can almost certainly be expected to occur again. There have mysteriously been no Hollow sightings in the cemetery in the few days leading up to October 31st. In the past two years the Gotei 13 dispatched multiple task force teams to investigate the mysterious mist. All contact with these teams was immediately lost upon their entering the mists, none of the Shinigami and scientists involved have return or been heard of since. Our reports also verify that the mists have expanded with each subsequent sighting. There is a strong suspicion that a powerful Hollow is involved. However, due to the nature of the mists and the lack of substantial information surrounding it, not much else is known. As part of the 3rd Night of Wailing Task Force, your duty is to uncover the nature of the mists and eliminate the creature(s) responsible. Interaction with spiritually aware humans and Quincy based in the area is to be expected. Stay on task, but the use of force is permitted should they jeopardize your mission objective. 

------

World of The Living Report: By one way or another, information regarding the Night of Wailing has reached you. The local news broadcasts have all been warning civilians to stay clear of the Cemetery for the past week, but tonight there is a particular emphasis on it. They are really trying to push "active gang of kidnappers and human-traffickers" narrative, but you at the very least suspect there are other forces at play. Whatever the case with these Nights of Wailing is, it's serious enough to have even the police involved; actively sending off curious teens and aspiring paranormal film-makers. You too are ultimately drawn to the gates of the old cemetery, joined by dozens of others like you and also  full-fledged Shinigami. 

------

ACT ONE

[10 Minutes Until Sunset]

The old cemetery lies tucked away in an abandoned corner of old Karakura Town, isolated from the rest of society by its discrepant red brick walls. Although, weather-beaten and tolled by the passage of decades, the walls stand unyielding; as if bound by and in honor of an eternal duty to contain that which they contained within. Like a battered guardian manning their post even in the face of certain and immanent peril. Upon the simplest inspection, one may be compelled to wonder, "If not by an unwavering adherence to a sacred duty, by what other powers had the walls not crumbled away to ruin?"

The cemetery could be accessed through six picketed iron gates. There was once a time, very long ago, when the iron gates shone like polished obsidian and the golden ornamented railheads gleamed like stars in the night sky. Alas, the passage of time had proved equally cruel to the once proud gates. Robbed by age, the gate no longer possessed their luster. Instead, left in its place were terrible crusted coats of rust, like dried bloody scabs below the rips and tears of flaked black and gold paint. The gates were all closed and locked this evening, they stood almost a sturdy as the walls, but far from as silent. With each passing breeze, the iron gates whined at the hinges. Looking in through the picket gaps of any of the iron gates, one could see that the cemetery appeared to stretch out as far as the eye could see; beyond the horizon, over and below bends and dips in the landscape. Gravestones, numbering in the thousands, in varied shapes, sizes, and states of upkeep collectively formed a forest of stone monuments between which the winds howled. 

As sunset approaches, those who have managed to sneak pass the police officers, who have barricaded off all roads leading to the cemetery, begin to assemble at each of the six gates. No one truly knows what the Night of Wailing will bring or what horrors dwell within the old cemetery. Still, as the hands of the clock tick down to the anticipated hour and the sun slowly fades below the horizon, a creeping sense of dread befalls many and the weaker-willed attendees. Some have already come to their senses and begun to turn tail. Unfortunately, of the strong-willed and foolhardy who remain, there are plenty...

[Instructions: Your Night of Wailing will start soon, post your arrival at the cemetery, you're more than welcome to include your motivation for joining and any interactions with the others gathering there.]

------------------------

Information

[Will be updated regularly as the event progresses]

Spoiler

General stuff to keep in mind going in:

- The events of this arc play out autonomously from your personal RP stories. Basically, there is no need to put your personal stories on hold for the sake of the event. 

- The event is split up into three Acts with a basic plot-line. Besides the NPCs and major plot-points that advance the overall narrative, players are pretty drive the rest of the story. 

- ND plays a significant role in the event in the story and also OOCly.

- There are quite a few randomized encounters. In most cases these randomness will effect how many enemies will be encountered each turn, who powerful the enemies are, and who the enemies prioritize as a target. Baleful Mist:  

------------------------

ACT ONE

1- At Sunset the Cemetery and a large area around it was suddenly covered by a dense mist that appear to come from nowhere at all. All human characters suddenly found themselves stranded in one part of the cemetery, even those who hadn't even entered the gates yet. The Shinigami have begun their coordinated effort to find the being or beings responsible for the Night of Wailing.  

Niebla Nefasta (Baleful Mist):

Spoiler

[Passive-Ability] At the sunset of the 31st day of the 10th month Egriffiend's Night of Wailing conjures forth an ominous mist from oblivion. Within the Baleful Mist wail countless lost souls, bound therein until they fade away. Beware Egriffiend's Baleful Mist for it claims all who dare enter it of the living and the dead indiscriminately.

Current Effects:

#1 All Parties Within The Mist Lose 150 ND Each Post Without Exception.

#2 Once The Mist Is Entered There Is No Way To Escape. 

#3 The Mist Severs All Lines Of Communication With The Outside. Not even your screams can can heard by anyone beyond it.

#4 The Origin Of The Mist And Egriffiend Cannot Be Traced OR Tracked Through Sensory-Based Techniques Like Tracking Reiatsu Signatures Or Outputs. The best way to describe it is that the mist it overflowing with countless Reiatsu signatures, including your own, coming from every direction. There is no way to get a clear reading on a target just through sensing them. You May attempt to flare your Reiatsu to a high enough degree that your position stands out, but know this will most certainly come with its own risks.To those within the mist, perception of its origin is deceptively fogged by the twisted amalgamation of thousands of Reiatsu signatures. Egriffiends is everywhere, the mist's origin is everywhere within its dreadful reach. 

#5 Mist Effects On The Senses-

Vision is Difficult and range of vision is very narrow, due to the density of the mist. There are places where it isn't as thick and will allow for wider range of sight. 

Hearing is mildly challenged, but still reliable. The range of hearing is a bit muffled depending on distance and if there are any pervasive sounds going throughout.

Smell is damp and musty, but distinct odors can be detected and spread throughout the mist easily.

Touch is the most reliable sense, naturally, most things within the mist would feel somewhat damp.

Taste is unaffected.

2-

• Like 3

October 31- Noon

Masato lounged in the living room of the Hizorashi household. He was visiting his Daughter Reina and mother Fuyumi; usually the only occupants of the house. But as the night of Halloween was soon to come, the entire Hizorashi family was present. Through the bustling chatter and movement of the house, masato tried to enjoy a luxury he couldn’t from his own apartment, television. He gave up on pleading with his family to not cross in front of his view and became content with what little of the news he could gather.

“Police have barricaded all the roads leading to the cemetery, as reports of kidnappings and gang activity have grown all too common on the nights of Halloween. Now, although…”

Reina turned off the TV remotely from behind the couch masato laid on. “Papa you’re supposed to be helping me with my costume.” She said while playfully stretching his cheeks.

Masato stretched his neck over the back of the sofa to face Reina, upside down. “I thought we finished it last night?”

“Nah ah, we still need to make the wand.” Reina shook her head with her father’s cheeks still in hand.

“Sailor moon doesn’t have a wand.” Masato informed her.

“Well this one does.” Reina rebutted loudly, just as her grandmother walked pass.

“Give up dear, she won’t listen to reason.” Fuyumi exclaimed as she carried a bag of candies to the main entrance, left to the TV. She too, had assisted with her granddaughter’s costume, and wanted to stay faithful to Sailor moon’s original look, much to Reina’s disagreement.

“Alright we’ll make you’re wand. But you have to promise me you’ll listen to auntie Azami when you go out trick or treating”, Masato proposed to Reina. His recent encounter with the hollow Charles, and the unsettling information he just heard from the news was enough to end his daughters trick or treating; had he not want to rob Reina of her fun, it certainly would have. If he couldn’t keep Reina inside, at the very least he would give her a hollow slaying babysitter, Azami.

“Again?!” Reina asked in shock, being that her father had emphasized listening to her nanny on multiple occasions since his visit. She wanted to ignore the proposal she had already agreed to, but when her eyes met her father’s, the sincerity and concern in them compelled her to answer, “I promise.”

Masato and Reina finished the wand at sunset, not long before Azami arrived, dressed as a werewolf and ready for trick or treating.

“I still don’t see why your date couldn’t come over for supper.” Masato’s mother inquired as he was leaving the house.

“Mom, we coin flipped the decision. If you want I can cancel on her”, Masato replied, certain that his mother would never tell him to cancel on a date. Not surprisingly, his words gave her face an expression of disbelief, and ended her pestering. Shortly after closing the house door he shouted, “Save me some leftovers please!”

Dusk

Technically, masato wasn’t lying when he said he was going on a date, but he certainly misled his family’s perception of what he was doing. How was he to explain to his family, “investigating the cemetery that dozens have gone missing in”, without worrying them. He would’ve normally stayed away from trouble, but this expedition was spearheaded by Seito, his mentor. He rode his bike nearest to the meeting point before running the rest of the way. The barricaded roads and heightened security weren’t difficult to surpass with his bringer light and the cover of the buildings.

Upon reaching one of the six gates of the cemetery, masato called his mentor to inform him of his arrival.

“OH that, I thought I cancelled?” Seito responded through the phone.

“WHAT?!”

“I’m up to my neck with work man, Sorry.”

“So what am I supposed to do?”

“I think Yuuto is on his way. If you want you can wait for him to go in. anyway I gotta go, call me if there’s an emergency, later.”

Seito ended their call, leaving masato unsure of what to do next. He stood at the screeching and rusty gates leading to the graveyard. Upon some contemplation, masato removed from his backpack and put on his cyan coat, preparing to investigate.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WC: 715

Edited by Mumen Writer
  • Like 3

ENW 01: THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS

-----

... RYŪNOSUKE grunted through his Tengu mask as he looked down at the street from his perch on a rooftop overlooking one of the police barricades. He rolled his eyes at a trio of rowdy, costumed teens trying to force their way past the on-duty officers. The teens eventually give up and saunter off in the opposite direction, cackling loud enough for even Ryūnosuke to hear from his elevated position. He pressed his finger over his left ear and activated the speaker of his wireless earphone. "Kappa, any news on your end?"

"Nothing, to report here. Literally not a single Hollow in the area today." Iwa's voice replied directly into Ryūnosuke's ear. His answer was just what he'd expected.

"It's not just today. There's been no activity here for almost an entire week. According to the Professor something is supposed to go down.", Ryūnosuke replied as he turned away from the ledge and stretched on the tip of his toes.

"Most likely the Professor sent us out as a precaution for the Night of Wailing."

Ryūnosuke paused, and raised his brow skeptically, "The what?".

"The Night of Wailing. Dude, you haven't heard of it? It's like the biggest urban legend in recent years." Ryūnosuke could here the enthusiasm in Iwa's voice despite himself being rather uninterested in the topic. The idea of having his plans for the evening ruined due to a spook tale wasn't sitting well with him. "This better be more than a shitty scary story."

"Oh, I can personally guarantee you, it's more than just a story. The past two years people have turned up missing by the dozens, including entire teams of Shinigami. It all surrounds this mysterious mist in the old cemetery." As Iwa elaborated, Ryūnosuke looked out from the rooftop and faced the cemetery, from his current vantage point he could make out the old brick walls and one of the menacing black gates. Beyond the wall he could see a vast landscape with countless graves stones permeated throughout. Even in the slowly diminishing daylight, the cemetery felt dark and bleak. Ryūnosuke couldn't imagine it was a place anyone enjoyed to spend a great deal of time. He quite literally thought of it as being 'surrounded by death'. Still, although not lacking anything of the expected unpleasant factor, there was something the cemetery was distinctly lacking of. That was namely an ominous mist. In fact, the cemetery in the moment lacked any sort of mist at all. Ryūnosuke rolled his eyes again, "I'm looking directly at the cemetery right now. There isn't the slightest hint of your scary mist.", the Tengu-masked Fullbringer pointed out bluntly to his comrade.

"Of course you don't, the mist doesn't appear until sunset. Give it-", Iwa paused, Ryūnosuke's guess was that he'd done so to check his pocket watch. "about ten minutes." Ryūnosuke sighed. Part of him instinctively knew that something was probably awry. The Professor would not have called the entire team out on a Holiday evening for nothing. There was also the fact that the police barricades and the suspicious lack of Hollows in the area seemed to at least partially confirm Iwa's story. At the same time, a paranormal mist in an old graveyard that mysteriously vanished people who entered it, and just so happened to only do so on the thirty-first of October. It was all just too cliche.  "I know what you're thinking, Tengu.", Iwa's voice into Ryūnosuke's ear. By Ryūnosuke's own admission, Iwa probably did know the exact thought on his mind at that moment. "All I ask is that you try to have an open mind. Besides, dare I say that the idea of a haunted mist isn't really all that out there as far as we're concerned. I mean we've literally fought a haunted ice cream truck."

"Kappa, please don't bring up the ice cream truck. I thought we all agreed to never speak of it again." Kitsune sharply interrupted.

"I'm just saying..", Iwa continued to speak from that point, but Ryūnosuke hadn't heard him, it was all background noise as his mind and senses focused in on another more curious matter. And, just as Kanako pointed out, the possessed ice cream truck debacle was an affair he explicitly wanted stripped from his memory forever. Ryūnosuke shuddered, he hadn't so much as been been able to look at ice cream since. Right before his eyes the Fullbringer watched as a Senkaimon opening up in the sky high above the cemetery. Ryūnosuke quickly utilized a Bringer Light step to leap to the rooftop of the next building over for a clearer look. He could now make out a group of Shinigami descending from the Senkaimon. Ryūnosuke interrupted Iwa and announced his discovery to the rest of WILD'S. "We've got Shinigami arriving at the cemetery... lots of them."

"I'm seeing it too." Iwa confirmed. "Kitsune, can you give us the full bird's eye view?"

"I've got eyes on the Senkaimon. I've also got confirmation on an ass-ton of Shinigami. Kappa, it's just like last year."

"Yup!" Iwa replied excitedly, "Except this time, WILD'S is gonna bust this case wide open.", he added smugly.

The new development had greatly heightened Ryūnosuke's skepticism. With every passing moment he grew progressively apprehensive about the situation. The rapid approach of sunset was not putting his mind at ease. That and the fact that he'd never seen anything remotely close to this number of Shinigami in one location. "Guys, I have a bad feeling about this. Everyone standby, I'm going to check it out."

Just a Ryūnosuke finished his statement, the Professor himself chimed in. "I have to say I agree. Tengu, you go down and speak to the Shinigami, find out what you can about this 'Night of Wailing'. Byakko, stay nearby, but out of sight, in case Tengu needs backup."

"Roger that, Professor." Ryūnosuke grinned, having Chizuru watching his back always put him at ease. It was just a shame this assignment had ruined their plans for the evening. He tried not to dwell on it as further instructions from the Professor poured in. "Kappa, report back to H.Q. Pick up Houou and bring her to the scene, just as a precaution."

"You got it, Professor. Don't get too chummy with the Soul Reapers, Fearless Leader. Kappa, out." Ryūnosuke proceeded to use his Bringer Light several more times, bounding from rooftop to rooftop, headed towards the cemetery, and bypassing the police barricades. As he leapt from a final building, Ryūnosuke activated his Aspect ability, Tengu no Sokumen, and gracefully transitioned from a single jump to effortless flight. The Fullbringer glided down towards the cemetery gate. He spotted a group of huddled Shinigami as well as another apparently human individual standing off on his own. Ryūnosuke decided to approach the loner in the cyan jacket first. "Making contact now.", he communicated to his team.

"Be careful.", commented Byakko, the concern laced in her usually firm tone was not lost on Ryūnosuke and he smiled.

"Copy that, Byakko. I'll update you soon. Tengu, out." Ryūnosuke replied before he tapped the bottom on his earphone to disconnect temporarily. The man in the cyan coat would have most likely noticed the teenager's arrival. Besides the act of literally floating through the air and the Tengu mask, Ryūnosuke would seem to be but an average teenager. Even his Reiatsu output was tactfully regulated to not surpass anything above unremarkable. His trusty aluminum Baseball bat, Kakushin, was secured in the side pouch of his backpack. As he approached the stranger, Ryūnosuke raised his right hand in greeting before putting both his hands into the pockets of his burnt orange fleece jacket.  Once touching ground, Ryūnosuke took a few brisk steps to stifle the momentum of his descent to its ultimate halt. "You here for the spooky mist thingy, too?" Ryūnosuke asked, addressing the man rather cordially. Depending on the man's own background he may or may not have noted Ryūnosuke's obvious Osaka accent...

WC|1,330
-----

• Like 2

-October 31st, Early Afternoon-

Several days had passed since Connor announced his claim to the Council Position handed down to him from his teacher. Besides the short altercation that took place at the time of his announcement, he hadn't encountered any other threat or battle. Despite what he expected, it felt difficult to come across hollow during this time period as well. He didn't know if that was due to the town being well maintained by the several factions, or if it was simply because there weren't any strong enough to pass through the net waiting for them upon arrival. Either way, the lack of action caused Connor incessant boredom. He still hadn't perfected the pronunciation of the various Japanese words during this time either, but he was steadily improving after mingling in several crowds. 

At this very moment, he was watching the news for the off chance that there may be something strange or interesting going on. Until now, Connor had been completely oblivious to the fact that today was Halloween. Even when he was back home, he tended to forget that it was a holiday as it had been essentially irrelevant to him more than ten years ago. For whatever reason, costumes and candy were never among his interests making Halloween one of the most easily forgotten Holidays of all in his opinion. Based on the News Channel that informed him, Halloween in Japan differed from the American culture with their focus being on Costumes. Another way to look at it was that today was simply an excuse for people to Cosplay. 

Connor sighed and shook his head. He quickly lost interest in whatever the news had to offer, and was only moments away from turning his attention completely away from it. The next story being reported on wasn't quite like the previous easygoing costume show that he expected to continue. The tone completely changed and a public service announcement appeared.

"Police have barricaded all the roads leading to the cemetery, as reports of kidnappings and gang activity have grown all too common on the nights of Halloween. Now, although there have been several known occurrences, the Police will be out in full force maintaining order and protecting the Citizens. Hot spots for crime such as this cemetery are being heavily patrolled and blocked off to prevent criminal activities. We would like to ask everyone to be cooperative with the officers on duty, and hope that everyone safely enjoys the Holiday..." 

Just like that, Connor had found an interesting way to spend his night. If Hollows weren't willing to appear before him then he would engage in some 'minor' vigilantism. He hadn't considered it before, but he was completely capable of doing so on a large scale. Not to mention, it would stave off the boredom he face if he occasionally did a 'good' deed like interfere with crime. How good of a deed he was considering doing was another matter entirely as most governments didn't take kindly to people bypassing the law, and Japan was no exception to this. Truthfully, Connor was completely aware of this but chose to push that fact to the back of his mind as he left the room that became a temporary home to him.

-October 31st, Dusk-

*sigh* "Well that was disappoint. I've spent my afternoon searching to just come up empty handed..." Connor couldn't help expressing his disappointment at this moment as the town was extremely peaceful. Ever since he met that other Council member, it had seemed like there wasn't anyone else in this town. Currently, he was on his way towards the cemetery that had been shown in the news. He had been saving it for later as he hoped to arrive around the time that Darkness would overtake the town. He had no reason to fear anything anymore, but subconsciously he still saw being in a cemetery at night would be somewhat thrilling. 

Connor didn't move along the rooftops, or in the sky like tended to after he awakened his Fullbring. For a change of pace he made a point to mingle in the crowds of people. There were several well-made costumes that could be seen, and overall the atmosphere on this Halloween was anything but scary. The Holiday was naturally a bigger deal for young adults, but among the crowds roaming about he could still see the occasional parent escorting their child to enjoy the sights. Something slightly strange to him was seeing that the tradition of trick-or-treating hadn't made it's way to Japan. Despite being aware of that, it was still strange to see compared to what he was accustomed to.

The crowds were focused more in the park and other places suited to heavy foot traffic, so there were far fewer people in the area of the cemetery. Some were coming from the area disappointed, likely prevented from entering. Others were going towards it full of confidence, likely expecting to make their way in. The only others out nearby were those with homes nearby, minding their own business. 

If anyone were observing the street from above then they would feel something wasn't right about the crowd, and Connor in particular. For a while now he had been paying attention to the perception of others while he moved, intentionally avoiding the eyes of others. His movements had no particular rhythm, but if someone were observing closely for a long enough time they would feel it was strange. Most people would unintentionally look to see what was moving if there was movement in their peripheral, but Connor was taking that into consideration as he picked out dead zones in the crowd to move to as he moved forward. When it was possible he would walk at a normal pace, when it wasn't his figure would flash forward like a ghost without a trace. The strange feeling would be due to the fact that Connor was on a street with other people, but completely unnoticed by any of them despite their various points of view. 

This feat relied on his perception being countless times stronger than an average person, and the speed to move outside the perception of normal people when necessary. The result was the off putting scene that made Connor seem as though he wasn't truly present. At most, he appeared as a shadow for anyone lucky enough to catch the slightest glimpse due to his dark clothes. He had no particular reason for these actions, and they wouldn't benefit him against other Fullbringers, but he felt it was a good way to understand the limits of his constantly growing abilities. When the barricade came into sight he made a point to disturb one of the people sneaking closer the draw the attention of the officers watching the street. While their attention was elsewhere he easily moved behind them at an extreme speed. They couldn't notice his movements even if they were paying attention, but now he could even leisurely walk forward without being noticed. The final result was Connor easily approaching the cemetery.

Once the gate appeared in Connor's line of sight, he could easily see two groups gathered near the gate. Based on the information that he knew, Connor could instantly see that the larger group were Shinigami. He cringed slightly seeing their uniforms as it seemed extremely tacky to him. In his mind, he equated it to wearing glorified bath robes. The other group consisted of two people which were clearly humans based on the slight energy signatures and the way that they were outfitted. Connor was naturally biased against the group he had long since decided were just a bunch of chuuni, so he steadily approached the two humans instead. When Connor arrived the masked young man was already taking a few steps directly towards the one wearing a cyan coat. Due to his heightened senses the two were already in earshot, so he clearly heard the masked fellow ask about a 'spooky mist thingy'. Connor had been under the impression that it would only be some petty criminals based on the news, but it seemed that it would be much more interesting than he expected.

Before the man in the cyan coat could answer Connor had arrived just a few feet from the two. He was close to them, but still enough distance that he was respectfully outside of their 'group'. "Excuse me, would you all mind me joining this conversation?" Upon Connor's arrival he made a point to speak politely. He was under the impression that manners were important in Japan, so it wouldn't hurt to avoid barging in completely. The way Connor carried himself was in a calm and casual manner. He was completely confident in himself, so he was able to appear here without any fear. He had a slight smile on his face as he spoke due to these factors and also to appear more approachable, but it was clear that he wasn't experienced with the language as the pronunciation was slightly off. He could carry conversation, but there would be jarring instances where some words may be misinterpreted. He had spoken in Japanese since he couldn't be sure that they know English, so he could only secretly hope that he spoke clearly enough to prevent misunderstandings. All he could do now was patiently wait for a reply from either, or both of the people before him.

Word Count: 1,535

• Like 3

Masato stood with his hands tucked into his coat’s pockets, peering through the gates at the vast field of gravestones. His face failed to express just how disappointed he was with the expedition, as of yet. The decision to investigate alone was much easier than devising an actual plan to proceed. He had trusted all the planning to Seito, who couldn’t attend due to unforeseen circumstances, and now stood at the one of the many gates to the cemetery, brainstorming what to do next. “What am I investigating again?” He thought to himself – a sign of just how unprepared for the mission he truly was. This night was intended to serve as his first, supervised, hollow hunting experience. Following his last encounter with a hollow, Masato was ready to prove he had what it took to assist in the exterminating of ‘the Quarter’, and any other hollow that threatened the serenity of Karakura. But though he tried, he failed recall or sense the presence of any hollows, let alone roaming spirits.

Masato’s interest in staying began to wane, and the thought of returning home crossed his mind. “By sunset, if nothing happens, I’m leaving” He decided to himself, as the sun had already begun to hide behind the earth’s horizon. However, as the father counted the seconds, in the sky not too far away, a sudden vertical string of white light appeared, catching his attention as he looked towards it. The glowing string then expanded horizontally, forming a standing rectangular shape before its light subsided, revealing traditional Japanese sliding doors, from which a flock of Shihakusho clad individuals emerged. Masato recognized the uniform from the only Shinigami he had seen up and until now, Yuuto, and concluded that they too were Shinigami. He couldn’t make out their exact numbers as from where he stood, they appeared to be no more than a bundle of black. Masato’s personal interest was now piqued, and he was no longer in a hurry to leave.

To find out their exact numbers he tried to read the various Reiatsu signatures, pushing his perception to its limit. He counted mentally, the differing Reiatsus, but upon the interrupting inquiry, “You here for the spooky mist thingy, too?” Masato lost his count. He directed his attention to the masked person, whose tone gave an estimate of his age. The hidden identity and aluminum bat lead to Masato’s initial misjudgment, “Must be one of those thrill seeking delinquents the news was on about”, He thought, but the boy’s presence at this gate implied he too made it pass law enforcements vigilant hurdles. What’s more, the stranger’s foreign dialect and body language didn’t fit the stereotypical ones of gangster. “Uh…” Masato attempted to reply to the boy, but a second inquiry would come to interrupt his thought again, and with it a tremendous source of energy, numbing that of the Shinigamis’.

”Excuse me, would you all mind me joining this conversation?” the second stranger asked from behind as he approached, carelessly flaunting his “power level”, so to speak. His Japanese pronunciation left much to be desired, but was otherwise loud and clear. Masato was advised against attracting others with his spiritual pressure, especially around Shinigami, so the actions taken by this man were a testament to his hubris. Masato wasn’t sure why the man took an interest in their “conversation”, but given the aura he felt from him, it was obvious he wasn’t there for sightseeing.

“I don’t mind. Do you?” masato replied, directing a question to the masked teen, ensuring he was fine with the other stranger joining in.

WC: 600

Edited by Mumen Writer
  • Like 3

ENW 02: STRANGERS ASSEMBLE PRT1

-----

... RYŪNOSUKE had only just addressed the man in the cyan coat when another human appeared and approached them at the gate. Though his expression and outward appearance gave no sudden indication of the fact, Ryūnosuke was able to instantly recognize the Reiatsu signature of this newcomer. It was by no means at the same intensity as it had been before, but there was no mistaking it, the person standing before him and the cyan coat fellow was the person responsible for for the immense Spirit Pressure that had been explicitly broadcasted across basically the entirety of Karakura Town just a week ago. The day after that phenomenon the Professor informed WILD'S that power had suddenly shifted in a few of the Fullbringer factions. The obvious conclusion was that the two events were related. As Ryūnosuke observed the young man he was admittedly surprised by how unassumingly average the person responsible for such a tremendous amount of power looked in person. The simple fact that Ryūnosuke and the cyan coat guy were able to stand in his presence without being suffocated or worst was a dead giveaway of their own relative Spiritual Pressures. "So, much for trying to appear inconspicuous.", the Tengu-masked Fullbringer thought, accepting that his 'cover' had effectively been blown right from the get go. As the second stranger asked about joining in on the conversation, Ryūnosuke took note of his obvious status as a foreigner. At the same time, he glanced in the direction of the Shinigami mob, checking to see if their overall demeanor had changed in like of the second stranger's arrival. Ryūnosuke was not yet aware of the Shinigami's stance on absurdly power humans, he also wondered what exactly could they do about it? The three humans present could basically be classified as sentient weapons of mass destruction.

Ryūnosuke wondered if he should try to contact Chizuru, but quickly decided against it. Knowing her, Ryūnosuke could state as fact that Byakko too had picked up on the familiar presence and also assessed the situation. He also didn't want to potentially put her in the way of harm. “I don’t mind. Do you?”, said the stranger clad in the cyan coat. Ryūnosuke shrugged dismissively, "No objections here. Nice meeting you both." With that confirmation, Ryūnosuke would extend his right hand to shake the second stranger's hand, he would then do the same for cyan coat afterwards. "Call me Tengu. I'm with the WILD'S faction." After introducing himself, the Tengu-masked Fullbringer would take a step back and allow the other two strangers to do the same...

WC|430
-----

• Like 1

Connor was oblivious to his own naturally released reiatsu and the implications it had on their situation. Due to never having been specifically trained to suppress it, he couldn't be described as skilled in doing so. He was aware of the potential harm excessive reiatsu could have on the world, but despite his best efforts he still lacked the knowledge or technique on how to perfectly maintain the lowest possible level of energy. Even if he could suppress it to the level of an average human, Connor wouldn't intentionally do so in order to advertise his existence. At the very least, he would make sure that his presence was easily identified. The situation with the Long Clan was shaky at best, and he needed to make his presence known to bring stability to the faction and also his own position on the Council. In the end, he was still stuck cleaning up his Teacher's mess after arriving in town. The solution he decided on to accomplish this task was forcing others to acknowledge his strength and position, even at the risk of some dangers.

“I don’t mind. Do you? This was the reply that the man in cyan had to offer. To Connor it seemed somewhat indifferent, while not being rude. Either way, after his reply the ball was in the masked fellow's court and he didn't seem to mind.

"No objections here. Nice meeting you both." Based on the body language and reply, it seemed that this person who sounded even slightly younger than himself shared a similar view to the one in cyan. Neither seemed to mind Connor's intrusion, and it seemed that he hadn't spoken too poorly since he was understood. In all actuality, this was one of Connor's few interactions with any other people in Japan so he had been slightly nervous as to what the result could be. He always had to hope that he wouldn't suddenly be cursing someone or their mother due to improper pronunciation. 'After this I will buckle down and up my proficiency with Japanese.' 

It was then that the Masked fellow stepped towards him for a handshake and introduced himself. "Call me Tengu. I'm with the WILD'S faction." Connor took note of this fact as this was the first person he met belonging to a faction that he was unaware of. He naturally accepted the handshake, matching firmness with Tengu to avoid an awkward limp shake. Tengu would then go on to do the same with the man in cyan. During this time, Connor would take the chance to introduce himself as well. "My name is Connor Knight, naturally you all can just call me Connor. I'm the current head of the Long Clan Faction, as well as the Fifth Seat on the Council of Power." Connor spoke in a simple and straightforward manner, while also taking a chance to spread his position. He didn't want to be too wordy with his introduction, but he felt it necessary to spread information of himself to other factions in order for his position to stabilize. He naturally didn't want to leave a terrible first impression for others in his first peaceful interaction, so he continued on in a calm manner while hoping that they didn't see it as if he was flaunting power at them. After finishing speaking he followed behind Tengu in order to also shake hands with the man in cyan before he would retreat a couple steps back and wait for his introduction similar to Tengu at this moment.

Word Count: 570

Total Word Count: 2,105

• Like 2

Hours Prior

"Captain Kusho." A messenger from the Third Division appears near Oriru who was situated on Sokyoku Hill with several books and papers. Even with the recent change in how things operated, Oriru took pleasure in doing his job ensuring that the operations of the Soul Society was maintained thoroughly. Still, with the sudden messenger coming by Oriru would not allow himself to be interrupted before completing his job. So Ginger, the red head with freckles, approached the messenger with a smile. 

"A little busy at the moment, but what is the message?

The messenger looked up at the Vice Captain and spoke gently, "Yes. Due to the events taking place in Karakura Town and in regards to the recent meeting regarding the Night of Wailing, Captain Shogekiha of the Third Dvision, Captain Jecht of the Fourth Division, Captain Hokori of the Fifth Division, and Captain Xai Shieng of the Tenth Division all agree that having a Captain Class Soul Reaper will prove invaluable and the resource of the Iron Fortress would prove to be the most effective for ensuring survival." The messenger stood there for a moment with his eyes fixed on the Vice Captain before Ginger would wave him off. 

"Well, you heard the man. They want you out there supporting this investigation.

Slowly the books around Oriru would start to close and all of the paperwork would start to organize itself. "Alright." He stood on his feet and looked at Ginger, "You mind taking these back to the Garden?" He took a few of the documents with him as he walked away from the hill, "I have to go process these and then I will meet you at the Senkaimon." He left her alone for a moment as she begrudgingly carried the small stack of books and papers.

"Of course, even after all of that he still lives the life of a paper pusher." She scoffs as she departs Sokyoku hill. 

-------

Currently

Squads of Shinigami had already arrived, a total of five groups of four members per group. Each selection had a member from the Fourth Division for healing support, the Eleventh Division for combat effectiveness, the Fifth Division for kido applications, and a team leader coming from the Thirteenth, Tenth, divisions with one of them having a member of the Second Division leading the team. This one would be the task leader for the entire operation, having a squad consisting of a Second Division team leader, Third Division for communication management, Twelfth Division for investigation analysis, and Eighth Division for a general purpose support. 

Task Commander Nyujin was taking care of establish the squads as needed to prepare for what ever it was that they were about to face with efficiency. He had already taken the time to establish a small command center with his Command Squad and ensured that each squad was properly prepared with their specific duties. Suddenly another Senkaimon opened up next to Nyujin revealing Captain Oriru Kusho and Vice Captain Ginger Genshi stepping out. Since becoming Captain, Oriru had made little modification to his clothing and simply requested his dress coat be tweaked to match the captains Haori with his division on the back and the pattern along the bottom trim. It was also key to notice that Oriru would not carry his Zanpakuto but it would be clearly strapped to the back of Lieutenant Genshi with a very faint glow coming from the sheath, although hard to see while sheathed. "Lieutenant Genshi? Captain Kusho?" Nyujin was obviously caught off guard.

"Yes, but we are here to simply provide support. This is still your Task Force.

"No worries Jin-Kun, you got this." Genshi provides a soft smile as she looks around and pulls out her communication device, ideally just a normal looking phone. Meanwhile, Oriru looked around taking note of the humans that were around, especially those that were looking at the Soul Reaper squads. Anyone that could see them could be a Quincy, or a potentially problematic human of their own accord. 

"Since you are here Captain, there was a presence that we picked up." Captain Kusho glanced over a specific individual in the crowd of a people, one located in a group of two other humans. "A human with a significant Spiritual Pressure." Oriru had already picked up on the individual that he was talking about, or he hoped he had because two humans with that much power would prove to be quite a problem. Still, Oriru had to keep his spiritual pressure sealed at all times and only to be released in emergencies. Usually it requires a request to be made and an approval but Oriru had been provided the Green Light to release if necessary. 

WC | 789

Note | Spiritual Pressure is < 40,000 for both Ginger and Oriru

Edited by ChaosKaiz
Red Hair, not Read Hair ._.
  • Like 4

Masato passed the question on to the teen simply to be courteous of his presence. In truth, he had no intention of sending the foreigner away, nor the authority. Contrary to what his age might’ve implied, Masato saw himself as, at most, their equals. Furthermore he wouldn’t want to tarnish the young man’s perception of the Japanese people, by excluding him for no real reason.

"No objections here. Nice meeting you both,”

The masked youngsters reply gave Masato some relief, and dispelled all the negative opinions he had of him. He was undoubtedly, a Japanese local and his welcoming gesture of a handshake to the foreigner gave masato a sense of cultural pride.

“Call me Tengu. I'm with the WILD'S faction,”

The teen now known as Tengu added, causing masato to raise a single eye brow in confusion. “You’re seriously giving him you vigilante name?” Masato was living vicariously through Tengu’s actions and noting internally at how he would’ve done better. The foreigner accepted the handshake firmly before he spoke again,

"My name is Connor Knight, naturally you all can just call me Connor. I'm the current head of the Long Clan Faction, as well as the Fifth Seat on the Council of Power."

First Tengu and now the foreigner, Connor Knight, both described what factions they belonged, which to masato’s knowledge, was not a part of the formal Japanese introduction. He had many questions for his new acquaintances but abstained from speaking too much before introducing himself. With Tengu now approaching, masato thought it was a great opportunity to educate Connor on Japanese culture. Tengu’s greeting handshake was of course accepted, but not without masato uncharacteristically bowed slightly shortly thereafter. “Nice to meet you,” He added, making sure Connor could see clearly, what he was doing. Masato was never this formal in his day-to-day life, but wanted to make a positive impression, and maybe make up for Tengu’s concealed faced introduction, polite as it was.

He followed their lead and introduced himself last, “my namu iz Hizorashi Masato,” in English as best he could. He extended his right hand out toward Connor, with the intention of combining it with a slight bow should Connor accept. As he held his hand out, the sudden sensation of more Shinigami appearing from above did not go unnoticed, but the harmless Shinigami were important enough to interrupt his greetings.

WC: 395

• Like 3

ENW 03: STRANGERS ASSEMBLE PRT2

-----

... RYŪNOSUKE cordially nodded after Connor and and Hizorashi introduced themselves. He considered revealing his face, but quickly decided that doing so would be unwise. The WILD'S faction put a major emphasis on perserving one's real name and identity, including maintaining a near human-level Reiatsu output in order to safeguard against the members of other faction who might target them unannounced. Although, Connor and Hizorashi might have been friendlies with no ill-intent, the fact of the matter was that Karakura as a whole was split up among many disputing factions and WILD'S just didn't have the power or influence to be able to deal with a targeted assault on them while they were mobilized and prepared. The thought of how easily any of the bigger and more establish factions could pick them off one by one if they rocked the wrong boat terrified Ryūnosuke, even with all the power he had as the second in command and the strongest member of WILD'S. Ryūnosuke was silently, yet pleasantly, pleased to have the horrible thought of possibly losing his friends and his mother, blanked out by the amusement of hearing Hizorashi hilariously introduced himself in English. The teenager smirked behind his mask and then coughed in order to stifle a snicker. "Connor-san... Hizorashi-san." Ryūnosuke, lightly bowed his head to each of the two individually, he then proceeded to say, in fluent English, "With introductions and language barriers at least somewhat out of the way."

Ryūnosuke faced Connor directly, "I was just asking Hirorashi-san if he was here because he heard about the mysterious mist. That doesn't seem to be the case. Supposedly, this strange mist has been appearing in this cemetery on the evening of Halloween for the past couple of years. All the people who have gone into the mist vanish or something, hence all the Shinigami. I'll be speaking to Hizorashi in Japanese, if you get lost at any point or have questions just let me know and I'll do my best to translate for you."

Nodding again, Ryūnosuke turns back to Hizorashi and addressed him in their shared native-language. "Eh, how do I say this, Hizorashi-san... I hope you aren't here because of the news reports about the human-traffickers. You know those aren't true, right? There is supposed to be a haunted mist that appears at sunset. A bunch of people have disappeared, including Shinigami. I've personally never seen it, but the rest of my team says it's true. We're sticking around to investigate it with the Shinigami. You might want to leave if this isn't your sort of thing." Ryūnosuke would end there and look west, in the direction of the setting sun. Sunset was just a few fleeting minutes away and Ryūnosuke's instinctual desire to flee toiled his conscious further with every passing second. Was he really going to go through with this? Every fiber of his being was opposed to it. This was clearly situation best left to the Shinigami. Still, as the forces of logic and instinct compelled him in one direction --far away from the cemetery-- an equal and opposing set of ideals, his sense of duty and an itching curiosity, anchored his feet where he stood --at least for now. Although, the Tengu-masked Fullbringer was keenly aware of which pair of forces would ultimately prevail. If past experiences --like the possessed ice cream truck-- were anything to go by, there wasn't even a shadow of a doubt in his mind...

WC|570
-----

• Like 2

Connor naturally took part in the handshake with the man who introduced himself as Hizorashi Masato in English. To Connor who primarily speaks the language, it left something to be desired but still allowed him to understand him clearly. 'At least his name sounds normal.' As this thought flashed through his mind Connor was caught off guard to see a slight bow from Masato. As a foreigner with very little social activity, this was the first time for him to receive a gesture like a bow. He was aware that it was part of a polite greeting in Japan, not at all uncommon. He still didn't expect it under these circumstances. Connor could only do his best to return a slight bow in the most proper way possible. He appeared slightly awkward while doing so as he likely didn't bow as far as etiquette would require, or lower his head in the bow. 

The slight bow reminded him of the time that his Teacher tried to force him to bow his head. At that time Connor would have sooner died than willingly done so. 'I wonder what he would think if he knew that I gave someone I just met the slightest bow after he had to force one out of me?' His smile grew slightly as his mind wandered back to that time, but was soon brought back to the conversation with a slight cough from the Tengu fellow. "Connor-san... Hizorashi-san." Connor found himself returning another awkward slight bow to Tengu this time. "With introductions and language barriers at least somewhat out of the way." 

Connor was surprised to hear the fluent English from Tengu at this moment, but thankful that he could always use English to clear up any misunderstandings. That didn't mean that Connor would switch to his primary language, at most he now had something to fall back to if he made too many mistakes. There was a slight sense of relief as he cut in briefly with Japanese addressing both Tengu and Masato. "Ah, Just Connor is fine. There isn't any need for formalities." After that the masked young man went on to share a brief description of the situation and inform Connor that he could and would be an in between in the conversation if needed. In return, Connor nodded his head in reply to express his understanding.

He was able to listen and understand with relative ease what the young man said as he spoke to Masato, and he couldn't help feeling slightly excited. He had come in search of simple criminals, but stumbled across what was likely to be an extremely unique hollow or situation. Based on the fact that even Shinigami had disappeared, whatever was soon to take place could offer danger for even himself if he weren't careful. This caused both excitement and wariness to surge in his heart. The two emotions balanced out allowing him to calmly focus on what was to come. He was still confident in facing whatever would come his way, but he wouldn't act in a foolish manner because of that. What actually drew Connor's interest was the team mentioned by Tengu. He didn't see any others in the immediate area, so he was naturally curious about the group due to the fact that they represent a faction. 'I wonder if they all wear masks and have strange code names?' Connor wasn't exactly judgmental, but the thought that everyone like to dress up and choose secret identities nearly made him shudder. 'I hope this weirdness isn't contagious.' It seemed like Tengu had finished speaking, so Connor decided to take the chance to speak a bit. Unfortunately, he could only lead with a slight pause in order to articulate a sentence.

"Um... I just wanted to say that I should be able to understand Japanese fairly well, so there isn't too much of a need to explain. I'm just slowly picking up on speaking it. As for the situation with the Shinigami, would you happen to be aware of the strongest person who has disappeared? I'm sure it would be beneficial to know since that would serve as a minimum strength necessary for anyone who wishes to enter." Connor paused for a moment here in consideration before adding on a bit more. "Another important subject, will we move together inside or do you all wish to separate? I don't mind remaining together as I am alone, but I did notice Tengu...san mentioned a team and it could conflict with us moving together. What thoughts do you both have on this?" Connor didn't exactly know if the "-san" was necessary after Tengu, but after some brief hesitation he decided to use it in order to be polite. All he could do now is wait. What Connor didn't notice was that his facial expression had slowly transitioned into a more neutral facial expression which expressed his seriousness, differing quite a lot from the smile that he tended to maintain. Without realizing it, he found that his eyebrows were slightly knit and his hand had found their way to the pockets of his pants as he waited to hear what Masato and Tengu would have to say.

Word Count: 854

Total Word Count: 2,959

• Like 3

Oriru watched as the Task Force Commander continued with the coordination efforts with the entirety of the Third Deployment. It was not until the Captain overhead the recent dispatch orders, "We will send a single detachment into the mist with the monitoring tracker from the twelfth division to maintain communication and location of the unit while they are in there.

"I know that I said I would allow you to run the task force, but I would like to include a key note of information." Oriru approached the Commander who was with his communications officer and investigative agent from the twelfth division. "Any attempt at communication into, or from, the mist has failed over the pass two years with only strange sounds being the last thing transmitted before immediate disconnection of signal." There was a pause, "I can provide support for that as well containment." Suddenly, from the long sword held by the back of Genshi, several small marbles would drift into the air and scatter to various locations out of sight. Those that could see the orbs would notice that four would place themselves at each of the corners of the cemetery while another four would be located a mile up from each of those. A golden thread would connect various orbs and then the shapes formed from these lines would solidify into a transparent black cube around the cemetery focused on being just on the other side of the human police barricades. 

The Soul Reapers would still be able to maintain their specific command center with each of the four unites focusing on their own respective side of the cemetery. Once established, two more orbs would continue to drift around the body of Oriru who took note of the select number of humans that were stuck on the inside of the containment. He considered his options prior to this, but they chose to bypass the barricades established by their mortal enforcers and thus would be condemned to their fate either way. "You." Oriru motioned towards the communications officer, "Ensure that you are ready to use Bakudo 77 to coordinate the initial operation. We have already loss 40 good men and women to this mist after two years, and honestly I would rather this all be done with this time around. A fourth deployment will not be necessary."

With that, the two orbs would be sent into the cemetery with the initial scouting. 

• Like 4

As the sun faded from sight, so too did any hope of escape for those unfortunate or unwise enough to be within a hundred steps from the gates and walls of the old cemetery. Such were the bounds of the mist's harrowing reach and the range of its horrible terrors. The mist was the grey of ashes, with a cool dampness it the touch. It crept forth from no single point of origin, nor did it crawl eerily over the landscape from an epicenter. The mist had but simply appeared. It was nowhere, and then it was everywhere. Between the stone grave markers, between every twisted branch of every twisted tree, between the pickets of the metal gates and the cracks in the red brick walls. The mist touched everything and everyone within it. It saw everything and everyone within it. Those who attempted to escape the mist would come to realize the futility of such endeavors. When one appeared to leave the mist from one place they would simply find themselves back within it in another. The Shinigami had thought themselves equipped and prepared for the encounter, they'd indeed been the one with the greatest amount of preparation. Alas, it was all in vain. Their communication devices and techniques --along with those of any other-- would all cease to function; reduced to transmitters of white noise and static or worst: nothing at all. 

Of all the mist's new wanderers, none could have planned for terrifying realization that any and all attempts to sense or track anything within the mist would also prove fruitless. The mist provided it own Reiatsu signature, a mangled and twisted presence of thousands upon thousands of spiritual presences --including those of the newly strangled-- all mixed and stirred into a ominous abomination. Though the mist could be temporarily parted and swayed by the like of wind-based techniques, the effects of such techniques would last for but a fleeting moment before the mist engulfed all once more. 

As baleful Mist would encompassed all those present, and flowed freely between each person individually, it would pass through their vision for but a moment. When it finally cleared all the humans would find themselves in a new location. The only indication of where they now were was the ever-present mist and the gravestones that surrounded them. How had they gotten here?  None of the Shinigami would have been displaced by the veil of mist. Although perhaps they would hear rapid footsteps within the mist just moments before the mist moved past their eyes. The humans would have seemingly vanished within that time, one second there and gone the next. 

[Instructions: Feel free to describe your surrounding area, just to set up where you've started in the cemetery. All the Shinigami are still where were before. The mist did not warp them anywhere.]

------------------------

Spoiler

Niebla Nefasta (Baleful Mist): [Passive-Ability] At the sunset of the 31st day of the 10th month Egriffiend's Night of Wailing conjures forth an ominous mist from oblivion. Within the Baleful Mist wail countless lost souls, bound therein until they fade away. Beware Egriffiend's Baleful Mist for it claims all who dare enter it of the living and the dead indiscriminately.

Current Effects:

#1 All Parties Within The Mist Lose 150 ND Each Post Without Exception.

#2 Once The Mist Is Entered There Is No Way To Escape. 

#3 The Mist Severs All Lines Of Communication With The Outside. Not even your screams can can heard by anyone beyond it.

#4 The Origin Of The Mist And Egriffiend Cannot Be Traced OR Tracked Through Sensory-Based Techniques Like Tracking Reiatsu Signatures Or Outputs. The best way to describe it is that the mist it overflowing with countless Reiatsu signatures, including your own, coming from every direction. There is no way to get a clear reading on a target just through sensing them. You May attempt to flare your Reiatsu to a high enough degree that your position stands out, but know this will most certainly come with its own risks.To those within the mist, perception of its origin is deceptively fogged by the twisted amalgamation of thousands of Reiatsu signatures. Egriffiends is everywhere, the mist's origin is everywhere within its dreadful reach. 

#5 Mist Effects On The Senses-

Vision is Difficult and range of vision is very narrow, due to the density of the mist. There are places where it isn't as thick and will allow for wider range of sight. 

Hearing is mildly challenged, but still reliable. The range of hearing is a bit muffled depending on distance and if there are any pervasive sounds going throughout.

Smell is damp and musty, but distinct odors can be detected and spread throughout the mist easily.

Touch is the most reliable sense, naturally, most things within the mist would feel somewhat damp.

Taste is unaffected. Why would you put anything you find in you mouth? xD

#6 ???

#7 ???

------------------------

• Like 2

[Niebla Nefasta Effect: -150 ND] [Remaining ND: 6,200 - 150 = 6,050

It hadn’t been long since Connor asked questions of the others when he happened to hear some interesting information coming from the Shinigami side. ‘So we won’t be able to access with the outside once we enter?’ Connor wasn’t too surprised by this revelation, and essentially unaffected due to his lack of companions to contact. It was something noteworthy, but somewhat unimportant to himself. If nothing else, he would share the information with Tengu should he not hear it himself. After a short moment Connor heard the lead Shinigami continue on. ‘Hmm, he can overcome the communication problem? And containment?’ He doubted what he heard at this moment, but there was also the possibility of a misunderstanding. In this case, he could only be left somewhat curious about his solution. 

It wasn’t but a short moment more before something strange took place drawing his full attention to the Shinigami as eight golden balls rose from behind another Shinigami standing next to the leader. Connor held back his urge to move at that moment and watched as two flew to the lower corners just outside of the dilapidated red brick wall that he could see with two more flying upward above those two. The other four flew into the distance, but Connor was still able to vaguely make out a slight golden glimmer from them with the last vestiges of sunlight from the horizon due to their height. ‘This must be the containment he mentioned? Maybe he can communicate with those within this area?’ While he was considering the purpose of this golden threads spread to connect into a massive rectangle over the area large enough to surround the area up to the barricades setup. 

As energy rapidly spread to form an opaque black tinted screen between those golden lines Connor couldn’t help but to give the lead Shinigami and one that the golden marbles originated from a longer look. This allowed him to recall a particular passage in a journal about recognizing ranked Shinigami. In particular, it mentioned the meaning behind the unique white jacket and particular arm badges that were worn by Captains and Vice-Captains respectively. To Connor who lacked experience with most things spiritual, this discovery piqued his interest. Part of him regretted not paying more attention to their arrival and considered approaching them at this moment. 

By this point, Connor’s attention was obviously directed away from his new acquaintances. He knew that this could be seen as rude to them, but without a continuation of the conversation he couldn’t resist the urge to listen for any other information. As he watched the person who looked slightly younger than himself give orders to the people accompanying him, Connor felt as if the scene was slightly disconcerting. In the end, it was strange to see such a young commanding officer. What he hadn’t considered was that his position would be similar if he had people below him, and that others could get a similar feeling from him as well. ‘Wait, he mentioned support but now he’s delegating that task to someone else?’ After the impression that this Captain would solve the problem with his support, it was slightly funny to see the responsibility seemingly given to another. He also had to doubt the effectiveness of whatever that Bakudo was supposed to do if the mist affected communication. ‘Anything they use to communicate would be a tool operating similar to a spell, right?’ This was the question that Connor wanted to ask them, but didn’t as he wasn’t a part of their group at the moment. Even if he were, it was likely that someone with that authority wouldn’t consider his opinion too seriously. 

The most significant piece of info was the total missing Shinigami. Forty had been lost to this place, and Connor refused to believe that among those wasn’t any decently strong people. Tengu hadn’t answered his question, but he subconsciously raised his alertness towards any changes with the area to prevent any surprises in the near future. He happened to catch sight of two more golden marbles flying between the bars of the cemetery gates at this time, as well as two orbiting around the Shinigami Captain. 

The conversation with Masato and the person he knew as Tengu alongside observing the Shinigami group resulted in Connor ignoring an important point that had been mentioned by Tengu. The start of what was to come would be when the sun set over the horizon, but Connor hadn’t noticed when the final moments of sunlight faded. With his attention elsewhere the appearance of the fog came in the blink of an eye. His chance to observe its formation was was missed. Between the gaps of the rusted gate and cracks in the red brick wall the mist crept. He could clearly feel it’s ominous appearance, nothing more than a disordered amalgamation of energy. It was reminiscent of what one would expect if the reiatsu of countless people were blended together causing Connor to be somewhat uncomfortable. 

In the moment he took to regulate that sensation he found that the mist was already in the area around them all. He could still make out the two next to him clearly as the mist hadn’t appeared too thick, only flowing slightly away from him after the sudden appearance. The nearby Shinigami were somewhat hazy as the mist wrapped around their bodies. He wanted to see what Tengu and Masato’s reactions were, but when he did he only saw mist and gravestones. He blinked his eyes as he turned just to find that his location had changed. The change was extremely sudden, but he still maintained his calm and quickly scanned his surroundings. He made a mental note that the mist had at least one function to move those within it in some mysterious way. 

Connor wasn’t fearful at this moment due to his belief in his strength, but he was still somewhat thankful to find Masato and Tengu nearby. They weren’t friends or even very acquainted, but both seemed friendly enough. Assuming there wasn’t any change, Connor felt that the three of them could work together to settle this issue. Other than the three of them, there wasn’t another person in sight. He took note of the roughly ten foot radius area around himself that was rapidly cleared of the mist as he looked around. It was almost as if a bubble was formed around the three when it stopped expanding with the only thing visible being the grayish hue of the mist silently battering against that bubble. 

Had it not been for the fact that the bubble followed him as he moved Connor would have assumed it to be a safe area, but it wouldn’t make sense for something like that to follow him. That is when he recalled the feeling he had upon his first contact with the mist, the mixed feeling of reiatsu within. After thinking along those lines, he could only feel bitter. He was aware of his lack of precise reiatsu control previously, but seeing the lack of influence on the mist that the others had it became apparent that it was a phenomenon which relied and the pressure of his reiatsu clashing against the mist-like energy. He could only sigh helplessly and commit himself to more training after overcoming this Halloween night. 

The actual area that they had appeared in was near a tree that appeared more dead than alive. Had it not been for the damp fallen leaves scattered in the surroundings, Connor would have assumed it to be completely rotten. In just the small area that was clear of mist there were more than ten headstones in dire need of repair. They were mottled in appearance with slight cracks appearing on them. Moss covered the few nearest the tree while dying weeds had grown where they cold. The stone walkway had sparsely growing grass between the cracks that could be found with half a bench appearing at the edge of the area. Based on its appearance, like the rest of this particular area, it was abandoned and somewhat overgrown with ivy. 

While inspecting the surroundings Connor was pushing his five senses to the limit to understand his situation. Within the area he found his vision to be unaffected, but despite the strength of his vision he found it difficult to see past the layer of mist that continued to gradually grow in density as it clashed with his reiatsu. The only thing he noticed was that the size of the bubble was slightly decreasing as the mist gathered when he inspected with his eyes. His hearing didn’t seem to suffer quite as much as he could hear the slight whistle of wind that occured as it flowed between the headstones. The rustling and limbs nearby was also clearly transmitted to him. Without any other particular sounds to compare to, Connor could only assume that the restriction on hearing was much weaker compared to sight. Only time would tell whether that was correct the correct assumption. Inhaling deeply through his nose let Connor realize that a somewhat overpowering musty scent carrying decay was present, matching to what one would expect of a mostly abandoned cemetery at this time of year. Still, he could catch faint traces mixed into the dominant one letting him know that his nose had the chance to find some more distinct scents if he were to be close enough. Along his entire body he was still able to clearly experience sensations the same as before letting him know that his sense of touch remained mostly untouched. Other than the sense of dampness that was hard to shake, he could still feel the flow of wind clearly. If the ground were to shake for some reason then it was also likely that he could detect it more easily. As for taste, Connor wouldn’t randomly stick anything in his mouth no matter how much it may help him as a result so that wasn’t tested. 

He wasn’t extremely thorough with scan of the surroundings, but he was confident that within these ten feet there were only the three of them. Connor was on guard against what could be lurking in the mist, but now that he had a few moments to adjust he spoke to his two companions. “Well, it seems like we’re going to do this together.” Connor paused for a moment after answering his own previous question and then continued. “So, did either of you catch what the Captain among the Shinigami said?” This question seemed important as it addressed the issue of communication that could affect both of them, so it seemed smart to see if they heard it and share the info if they hadn’t.

-Abilities Used-

Spoiler

[PASSIVE] Enhanced Senses: As the energy permeated his body Connor came to realize his various bodily functions improved. All his organs experienced major improvements. The greatest improvements came from the brain which controlled all bodily function; however, the various organs all improved in functionality throughout the body. The most apparent improvement was to the five sensory which all grew much stronger and benefited in the form of a natural protection against negative status effects. Due to the strengthened senses, Connor's awareness towards his surroundings improved and even affected his spiritual sense to a certain extent. 

-Combat/Stat Effects-

Not Revealed 

-Stats-

Spoiler

Reiatsu| 124,000 

Natural Defense| 6,050

Power| 126

Strength| 199

Reiryoku| 73

Stamina| 165

Speed| 165

Perception| 165

Throw Speed| 192

Reiryoku Speed| 91

Word Count: 1,777

Total Word Count: 4,736

OOC: I updated and added all of the relevant info. As for any replies and info from the period where he was "distracted", assume that he heard it in passing and didn't acknowledge it due to being distracted. He is still aware of what is said in the following two posts. 

• Like 3

001 l A Fleeting Presence, Unforeseen Arrival 

The narrowing rays of a dimly lit sky foretells a tail of grim adventures on such a haunting night to befall; begrudgingly so, that it would come so relentlessly upon the town of karakura. The vibrant hues of orange and purple are eerily transition into shades of grey as the onset of night may inevitably approach whilst amidst the dawn of an encroaching storm. Such habit-ants of this eve subjected to this oncoming discover would befall upon its curious oncoming without warning, yet another oddity on the eve of a rather peculiar day. Wind would rumble in its wake as indeterminate streaks of a blue hue fill the now crackling skies above. To any who'd had a sense of the climate on this particular day it would have come as quite the irregularity. Upon the ground did a mysterious fog appear upon those unlucky enough to be within its surroundings, which would now be accompanied by an unpredictable irregularly pulsating winds; which, awkwardly so would both temporarily lighten and dampen the newfound mists in no particular pattern. 

What seemed as if ages had passed since his last appearance upon the living, both mortal and spiritual alike. It was quite ironic to have chosen such a day to bring an appearance, yet oddly befitting of the soul now looming above the peculiar cemetery that held such a reputation upon this day. A night of which held a harrowing tale indeed for Shinigami and the living alike, most especially the Special Task Force in particular. How could one resist the urge to see such a travesty for himself, even if it had been ages since his last arrival.  He could hear the scoldings of his co-workers now, as his lack of a single remark before disappearance for his self seeking and improvement was likely viewed as childish at the least. 

A single bolt of lightning comes crashing down from the raging storm above, and falls directly upon the side of one known as Oriru. Upon connecting with the surface the malleable particles surrounding its captaincy did materialize in a significant fashion as if to present itself in a dimly lit silhouette of a electrified humanoid figure. The being extended its arm outwards to Oriru with a certain sense of reluctance and regret. "Forgive me brother, but lest we allow the formalities of my punishment once this monstrosity be dispersed." As the words were formed so was the body of the voice from which it came, revealing the once acting Commander of the Onmitsukido, whom had since donned a blackened cloak attempting to conceal a monstrosity of its own. "It's presence has sinceforth remained one with myself it seems, as i only hope the green one would have informed you once upon a time. I may not deserve to be in any of your presence, yet I bring myself here to you with one request, allow me to join you in this crusade." As his body completely formed it would reveal a partial mask of pale white and teal, having become a true counterpart to the alleged species they so mercilessly forsake. 

Hitsuyona would pull the hood down to fully reveal his disturbing presence to all who surrounded himself. It was without question that his former friends would have an immediate defensive reaction whilst looking to those who held some form of leadership among them. His face showed a great shame, but managed to muster a half smile beneath it all somehow. "It would seem as though I have become one of the many stories I once told you friend, but I swear to you I hold a immeasurable advantage and certain level of necessity beneath this curse." Hitsuyona would reach into his cloak before pulling a dual sheathed zanpaktou from his whereabouts, one of which he lightly tossed towards his hopefully comrade. It was the once renowned Tekkai Kage that he so pridefully dawned long ago, as he had managed to retrieve them from the depths of a place left only the wicked dwell. "Surely you of all people would know a rightful place for the empty shell of what she once was. I've since transgressed past the capability of Asauichi, for we are one." His voice held an undertone of what once would have been recognized as Hitsuyona, yet accompanied by a echoing sound of a female entity.

TECHSl

WC; 725/1500

Spoiler

Storm-Herder: [2 Slots] Hitsuyona can summon a storm that covers the battlefield engulfing Hitsuyona and all present opponents and allies. Periodically while the storm is active, a loud Thunderclap will boom throughout the battlefield.

Initial Cast Cost: 3 Stamina (Afterwards it Costs 1 Stamina for every turn the Storm is active.)

New Effect: WHILE IN HIS RELEASE, Any time Hitsuyona or his opponent use a electric based Attack or Technique it leaves a residue of STATIC where ever that impacted. Only Hitsuyona can see the static on the battlefield. By using himself as a Conduit, Hitsuyona is able to interact with the Static in unique ways. Can be cast as either Conduit or Static Surge

[Point of arrival noted]

[1]Magnetism: Hitsuyona is capable of apply negative ion charges to the enemy, allowing himself as the conductor to magnetize himself to the object/perso

[Applied for story/friendly purposes to the swords tossed at Oriru]

- When Hitsuyona Magnetizes he travels at a rate of his Reiryoku-Speed.

[used as a way to travel via lightning to point of impact]

• Like 3

ENW 04: ENTER THE BALEFUL MISTS

-----

[Niebla Nefasta Effect: -150 ND] [REMAINING ND| 6,150 - 150 = 6,000]

... RYŪNOSUKE gave a light nod in affirmation of Connor's comments about setting a more casual atmosphere to their conservation and his confidence in his ability to communicate with them in Japanese. Overall, it seemed the trio were in the opening stages of an at least cordial friendship. The teenager found it ironic that such an opportunity for positive social interaction had come about as a direct result of the ever unpleasant nature of what had drawn them all to the cemetery. In fact, in the short time since his arrival, Ryūnosuke had entirely absorbed in their seemingly fated meeting, that he'd completely forgotten why it was he'd come to the gate. That was of course until Connor asked about a particular detail related to the Soul Reapers. "Eh, that could be good information to have. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue about that.", the teenager replied flatly. "But I'd bet they probably do.", he added nodded his head in the direction of the group of Shinigami. As he did, he noticed that the Shinigami Captain had begun to delegate his troops in some manner. At the same time, he listened to Connor's second question about whether or not the trio would stick together once inside the cemetery, Connor also mentioned WILD'S and the potential conflict that could cause. Ryūnosuke indulged in imagining such a scenario;he couldn't help but acknowledge that Connor and Hizorashi would surely stick out like a sore thumb. "Yeah, WILD'S is... wild. But no one else should be coming into the mist for now. I'm fine with sticking with you guys until then. I just need to let my comrades know." Ryūnosuke would point to his ear and turn facing away from the cemetery gate, his new acquaintances, and the Shinigami. It just so happened that he'd turned to face the sunset, the sun had just about completely faded below the horizon."Shit." Ryūnosuke muttered to himself as pressed the earpiece button twice to open a private line with Chizuru. "Byakko, you there?", he asked and then waited for her to respond.

"Talk to me, Ryūn. I sense that crazy Reiatsu presence again, the one from last week. What's going on?", Chizuru replied almost immediately, she wasn't even trying to hide the worry in her tone.

"It fine, I met the guy. He's absurdly powerful, but he seems cool for now. Listen, there isn't much time before sunset. I still have a bad feeling about this, Chizuru." Ryūnosuke whispered into his speaker. There was a short pause on Chizuru's end before Ryūnosuke heard a drawn out sigh of annoyance go directly into his ear. "What?"

"Nothing, it's just that right after saying how you have a bad feeling is when you're going to say you're going in alone anyway." Byakko, murmured. Ryūnosuke couldn't argue; of course she was right. "Alright, Fearless Leader. I'll make sure we stay out of your way." At that moment, Ryūnosuke would not have noticed the the orbs that spread out to the corners of cemetery.

Ryūnosuke grunted through the speaker. "You know it isn't like that.", his tone was flat Chizuru could hear the hurt her words had caused.

"I know. That was fair, I'm sorry. I'm just worried, something feels very wrong about this to me too. I think we should jus-" Chizuru shut her sentence short, Ryūnosuke swore he heard her gasp in shock just before she addressed him about, this time shouting. "Dammit! Get out of there, now!"

Ryūnosuke was hardly able to make sense of Chizuru's word, he had no clue of what had rattled Byakko so suddenly and managed to breath out a confused, "What?" before Chizuru repeated her instructions with even greater concern and urgency. "You have to run someone put up a barri-"

Ryūnosuke grunted as Chizuru's voice cut off mid-sentence for a second time. It was in that same moment that the Tengu-masked teenager realized that the mist had now completely surrounded him and everyone else present. He turned to face Connor and Hizorashi, but just as he did a dense waft of grey mist passed over his face and completely clouded his vision. When the mist passed Ryūnosuke continued to survey his surrounding, looking for Connor and Hizorashi. He spotted them, as he expected he should have, but much to the teenager's shock, they were not where they'd been just a moment again. Ryūnosuke turned in a full circle and studied his environment thoroughly. He now stood in the middle of the stone walkway with between two lots of dozens of gravestones, those were just the ones he could see through the thick and swaying mist. Besides the fact that they'd very obviously been somehow transported into the cemetery against their will, something else was eerily wrong to Ryūnosuke. He glanced down at his empty left palm as a pervasive thought in the back of his mind presented a strange question that he could not answer. "When did I put my hand down? Wasn't I speaking with Chizuru?" Chizuru! Ryūnosuke dismissed those last thoughts as he pressed the button of his earpiece again. "Hello? Byakko, are you still there?" There was no reply. Ryūnosuke pushed the button again a single time for the open WILD'S line and called out to his team, "It's Tengu. I'm in the mist right now, Can any one here me?" No answer. Not even static. Just dead silence. The teenager grunted in frustration and fiddled with the buttons for a bit more, trying every channel he could to reach any of his comrades but with ultimately no success at all.

When the teenager had finally given up, Connor addressed him and Hizorashi, commenting that they would likely be teaming up after all as well as inquiring about if they'd overheard the Shinigami.The Tengu-masked Fullbringer noticed that the mist seemed to have thicken around a bubble-like radius of which Connor was the center. Connor's lack of skill in suppressing his Spiritual Pressure seemed quite handy at the moment. "Seems so. I can't reach my guys at all." Ryūnosuke replied and then he answered the second question. "No. I didn't heat anything, I wasn't paying attention. What about you, Hizorashi-san?" As, he waited for Hizorashi's response, the teenager could have sworn he heard a very faint rumble coming from above, it sounded like it could have been thunder, but he couldn't see any clouds now because of the mist and there had been no indications that it was going to rain earlier in the evening. In fact, there hadn't been a single cloud in the sky. "Curious. no doubt the other two had learn it as well." , the teenager noted but for a brief instant. Hizorashi was speaking and Ryūnosuke wanted to hear what he had to say...

WC|1,130
-----

• Like 2

Following the awkward excuse for introductions by the group of three, Masato observed in astonishment as Tengu began to speak in clear English, "With introductions and language barriers at least somewhat out of the way." Masato in no way perceived himself as competent in the English language, but thought he would at least try to communicate to Connor in his mother tongue. However, being completely outclassed by the masked teen’s fluency, Masato decided to stick with Japanese, while Tengu could as a translator if ever required to.

Tengu continued, “I was just asking Hirorashi-san if he was here because he heard about the mysterious mist. That doesn't seem to be the case…” His words were not completely untrue, Masato was only ever given the instructions by his mentor to, show up prepared for fighting hollows. Never once did Seito mention a strange mist responsible for the missing lives of so many. “Was he trying to surprise spook me with this mist? Would he really put us in that kind of danger just for laughs? Masato questioned the intentions of the only man responsible for his arrival at the cemetery. Thinking of how dismissively he bailed on the expedition, Masato concluded that perhaps his mentor didn't take the rumors seriously.

“…I'll be speaking to Hizorashi in Japanese, if you get lost at any point or have questions just let me know and I'll do my best to translate for you,” were Tengu’s last words in English, directed to the foreigner, as with a slight nod, he redirected his attention to Masato and spoke in Japanese. "Eh, how do I say this, Hizorashi-san... I hope you aren't here because of the news reports about the human-traffickers. You know those aren't true, right?” this wasn’t a surprise to Masato, as the news often used wild animals and criminals as the perpetrators of what was obviously hollow attacks -- the cover up of his wife’s death and Tamotsu’s being no exception. Tengu continued to explain the nature of the haunted mist, as well as his personal opinion and purpose for being there. Lastly he gave Masato an opportunity to leave, “You might want to leave if this isn't your sort of thing."

Masato had mixed feelings about the young man’s last comment. On one hand it was certainly the polite thing to do, while on the other, Masato wondered if he appeared that clueless. He came looking for hollows, but was now amidst something, potentially, much more important, and had no intention of bailing as did his mentor. He wasn’t sure where’d he fit surrounded by so many capable individuals, but figured the least he could do was watch and learn from the sidelines. “Yeah, I know about the misinformed news reports. I expected hollows but as I’m sure you know, they’re a total no-show. I’ll stick around and see if I can assist with the mist.” Masato replied clearly, tilting his head slightly to the gate as he mentioned the mist.

Not long after his reply, Connor would speak up once again, clarifying his intent to speak Japanese. This was a great relief to Masato, though the foreigner’s next inquiry would make him wonder, if perhaps already– there was a linguistic disconnect. “Would you happen to be aware of the strongest person who has disappeared? I'm sure it would be beneficial to know since that would serve as a minimum strength necessary for anyone who wishes to enter.” The literal meanings of Connors words were understood, but how Masato was to know the identity of the missing Shinigami was beyond him. Thankfully the teenager’s quick response “I don't have a clue about that,” Spoke for them both. Connors next question was much easier to comprehend and answer. “Will we move together inside or do you all wish to separate?” Masato had doubts in his ability to survive alone in the mist, being that even Shinigami failed to return in the years since its emergence. He thought highly of the Shinigamis strength, as the only one he had ever met was immensely powerful. For his own safety, he would at least stick to one other person. “I'm fine with sticking with you guys until then. I just need to let my comrades know." Tengu responded before excusing himself from the group to presumably speak privately to his Team, who were still out of sight. Seeing that Tengu and Connor approved of remained grouped, Masato thought he’d sate his decision aloud, lest either of them thought he wanted to operate alone. “I'll like to stick with you guys too; wouldn’t want to end up lost.” He answered confidently with a lit chuckle. Though his face didn’t show it, his words behind the façade of a confident tone, admitted to his concerns of becoming another statistic.

Following his answer to Connor, Masato finally acknowledged the presence of the latest pair of Shingami to arrive, only to see an array of levitating orbs, flying with purpose to different ending points of the cemetery. As all orbs settled, they each glowed and created a string of yellow reiatsu; connecting with each other to form a large rectangle. the white lab coat of one shinigami stuck out from the rest, it wasn't a stretch to assume that it signified a higher status. just how high? that, Masato couldn't tell.  

All the action in the sky distracted him from the realization of a fully set sun, and the mist which slowly gained on the group of three. Connors eye’s seemed already fixated on the Shinigami, but Tengu, with his back to the orbs, couldn’t have possibly seen what was happening. Masato turned to him, hoping to get his attention, but quickly saw the frustration in his body language, and thought he would make sure the teen was alright before adding more to worry about on his mind. "Is everything alri…” before Masato could finish his sentence, a black room, confined within the Shinigami’s orbs, formed above the cemetery grounds and by extension the group of humans. Not long before the black rooms creation and with little time to react, masato found himself completed wrapped in a thick mist, briefly robbing him completely of his vision, and his ability to sense the individual reiatsus of his new acquaintances.

over the course of a few seconds Masato's vision began to improve, and with it, he could just barely distinguish Tengu, who was much further away than what he remembered. The foreigner however, was much easier to recognize, he and the mist-less pocket of air surrounding his body. Masato wanted to test his sensory capabilities in the mist on Connor’s reiatsu.  “If my vision cleared up, maybe the ability to sense reiatsu did too,” he thought, but try as he did, only weak and unrecognizable reiatsu signatures could be read.

“Well, it seems like we’re going to do this together.” A voice matching Connors quipped. A brief pause followed before it continued, “So, did either of you catch what the Captain among the Shinigami said?” Masato wasn’t sure if the question was rhetorical, “as if I could hear what they were saying up there,” Masato wanted to reply, but didn’t as the sudden rumble silenced him and he listened diligently to ensure it was real, and perhaps not just his stomach.

"Seems so. I can't reach my guys at all." The voice matching the masked teen commented. The worry brought by the rumble was pushed away by Masato’s interest in how Tengu would respond to the notion of hearing the Shinigami from so far away. "No. I didn't hear anything…” Masato sighed with relief, glad to know he wasn’t the only “normal” person present. “I wasn't paying attention. What about you, Hizorashi-san?" Masato was now again on edge.

“No I must've missed it too,” he responded dishonestly, hoping to move on from the topic. the inability to detect reiatsu in the mist gave Masato an idea of how he could be useful. “Since we can’t sense each other’s reiatsu, we can stay connected with my Fullbring.” He proposed while extending two long cyan threads from his coat, roughly four centimeters wide, to Tengu and Connor respectively. “With this I can tell if we start splitting too far apart,” he paused before creating his tail and sticking it into the ground and adding, “and retrace our steps.”

_________________________________________________________________________________ 

ND: 6720+600(Fullbring release)=7320      7320-150(Baleful Mist)=7170

WC: 1390

Edited by Mumen Writer
  • Like 3

[Niebla Nefasta Effect: -150 ND] [REMAINING ND| 13,200 - 150 = 13,050]

Just Before Sunset
Captain Kusho turned his gaze, only for a moment, to the strange occurrence in the sky brewing a storm and considered that perhaps the mist held greater secrets than revealed to him but soon found solace in dismissing that notion. The storm brought forth a familiar presence that he recognized from only a few interactions prior and turned his focus back on the matter at hand. There was little room to allow distractions, which was a curious detail as he took note of Genshi taking the time to sit on the floor and read a book regarding the details of "Applied Kido Arts". 

Dark Horizon
As the sun departed the sky so did the breath of the men and women prepared to face what dangers descending upon them. Each one told tales of what may occur when the night fell upon them, and each one held a different feeling towards it but all held a moment of dread with the creeping mist. All of them, including Oriru anticipated a point of creation to generate a potential epicenter but that proved impossible as the mist did not arrive from a location as much as it simply appeared. Every single spot on the floor, every crack in the wall, and almost as if from the air itself had the mist found a way to form as if it had been there since they arrived but was blinded by their own anxious energy. 

Immediately Nyujin attempted to test his communication device, despite the warning of Captain Kusho advising of the fealty of the attempt, and all he would received was the absolute silence of the line. Not so much that a signal could not be obtained, but the response through the communication lines was a return of silence. The communication coordinator attempted to utilize the Bakudo in order to relay the predetermined message and as the technique started to form, with the intricate designs drawn with the special ink, it was clear that it was not going to work as none of their power would flow through the patterns and trigger the delivery. Oriru was aware that communication devices would be inoperable, but to be so great as to prevent communication though techniques meant that there was a greater danger than he initial was made aware of. 

The potency of the mist became even more prevalent as the nature of the mist seemed to be alive in its own way as Oriru was able to sense the spiritual pressure of the mist but more complicated. It was less like the spiritual pressure of a presence but the compilation of hundreds of sources of spiritual pressure all swirling around one another with no portion hinting at a sense of dominance within the blender of energy. Nyujin attempted to utilize his Zanpakuto, releasing it and using one of his wind techniques to disperse the mist from his location. The action proved successful enough to last a single breath before the mist seemed to just appear once more. There was no rhyme or reason to it for the mist did not move to fill the space made available but more accurately the open space generated more of the mist for itself. 

Oriru took note that there was no pressure placed against his containment barrier, meaning that the mist held no intention of spreading further than its own specific location and thus lead to no real reason to maintain the barrier especially since the current situation caused him to assume he would need to maintain control of his containment barrier pulling his orbs back into his general orbit. Eight of them all maintained an orbit around Oriru roughly a meter from his body as the two scout orbs returned and joined the orbital pattern. As his Shikai returned to cover him, Nyujin coordinated with his specific unit, and Genshi continued to read her book undisturbed, a strong bolt of lightning struck down right next to Oriru which caused the unit a bit of a startle and prepared for confrontation.

The former acting Commander of the Onmitsukido formed from the lightning as Oriru maintained his gaze towards Genshi, who turned a page entirely engrossed in the information of the book. "Hitsuyona Shizukesai, it is such a pleasure that you decide to finally appear and perform the duties once assigned to you." There was a clear sign of annoyance, but a hint of respect for the missing commander, or once considered missing. "You are a man of many flaws..." Oriru paused in his breath, "But you have proven countless times where your loyalty remains." Finally he turned to face Hitsuyona with stern expression, "With the situation as it is, assistance is preferred over confrontation." With a sigh and a disgruntled expression as he turned his gaze upon the cemetery he continued, "Of course Captain Commander Kaeru," He said the name sharply to note the cavalier manner to which Hitsuyona referred to him as the green one and continued, "mentioned your affliction in conversations held and I would have preferred you approached in a better manner." Oriru took note of the reaction of Nyujin who held his blade ready to attack at a moments notice, "But you will be given a chance at redemption, because I have respect for the stories you told to me as an Academy Student and the time you took to help me during my initial unseated days within the Thirteen Court Guard Squads."

Nyujin immediately prepared an assault, picking up from his position in a short burst rushing the former Commander, "Shibireyubi." As Nyujin approached he would see a flash of white light from Oriru and immediately Nyujin would stop in his tracks and fall to his knees. "As I said," Now speaking with a louder voice than before, "Assistance is preferred over confrontation, this crisis requires collaboration and that is a direct order." He turned to the few Soul Reapers within range of him, "Is that clear?" There was a moment of hesitation before acceptance, "Release." Another flash of white light and Nyujin finally stood to his feet, defeated and disgruntled. "Is that clear?

Collectively there was a nod in agreement, although a single face was not happy about the arrangement. With that, Hitsuyona continued and with an attempt at a friendly smile betwixt his afflicted malignant form he threw one of his Zanpakuto over to Oriru. As it flew through the air it seemed to float in the air with the rest of the orbiting spheres and drifted slowly over to Genshi. There, she took the time to put her book down, attach the wakizashi to the odachi, then return to her reading. "I do not care for any of the exploits, your stories will serve as your defense of when you speak on your desertion. Until then, and through the course of this crusade, I am your commanding officer and therefore you will step in line when requested..." He took a few steps towards the gate, "Otherwise do what you do best."

With that spoken, Genshi closed her book and placed it within the small bag she was carrying before standing up and approaching Oriru. As she grew closer, Oriru extended the range of his orbit to three meters as Genshi stepped within a meter of Oriru. "Besides, your actions today may determine if the legislation for acceptance of hollowfied individuals within the Soul Society, or the Thirteen Court Guard Squads, will pass." Genshi put a fist up towards the rest of the unit, a signal of to hold position. 

"We will be back Jin-Kun, maintain perimeter. We got this." She turned back with a smile as the gate seemed to be pushed open by an unknown force and Oriru pressed on with Genshi close by and Hitsuyona either following behind or deciding on his own approach. As the Captain and Lieutenant walked, it was clear that they would not step on the ground but upon the air itself in the mist. There was no clear destination but Oriru focused not on attempting to get anywhere in particular as much as he was determining the current status of the environment, grateful that Hitsuyona maintained a low profile with his spiritual pressure as to not attract undue attention. 

"So tell me..." Oriru spoke without changing pace or pattern in his movement, "Where did you go after the encounter with the Captain Commander in the Rukongai?" Genshi seemed unconcerned and went back to reading her book and keeping close to Oriru.

----------
Features in Effect
Shikai Released | +600 ND [Applied]
Event Horizon | ???
Singularity | ???
WC | 1441

• Like 4

A great feeling of malice fell upon the conflicted soul as both the Captain spoke and several unforgiving eyes lay focused on his person. Their reactions weren't unforeseen by the Vizard that stood before them; however, no amount of preparation could have allowed his ego to take such a hit without a sting. Whether the words pierced his entirety or not though, it was certain that his flaws surpassed his strengths at the current moment in time. He could feel the utter morbidity honing into his very soul as the conversation carried forth with his old friend, and the inevitability of an oncoming onslaught would henceforth proceed. The very own member of his former Onmitsukido had since came full force towards the abandoned shinigami, who would lightly raise a singular hand towards his once beloved comrade. A strong force had begun to dampen his movements, as the ground beneath his pursuer gave forth from his further attempts to pursue Hitsuyona. It would be in this moment that Oriru had taken matters into his own hands, and ceased Shibi movements in an instant. 

Hitsuyona would look over to Oriru as he reiterates his previous statement, only to further enforce the ideal that he himself was to be currently perceived as an ally and not a foe. The young demented soul watched as his blade effortlessly floated to Oriru's lackey instead of receiving it for himself; however, the mere acceptance of such a gift was noteworthy given the current situation. Following such was a shocking discovery though, as the statement regardign his possible acceptance slip through. Hitsuyona's face appeared awestricken in light of this news, as he looks downwards for a slight moment. He couldn't help but think that Kaeru had instead set the waves of motion to overrule his forsaken fate, as opposed to hide its presence as per requested. "Always like him to leap through the loops instead of squander from the path, still, there's hope yet." 

A moments time passed as Hitsuyona collected his thoughts, and would then quickly begin to follow suite of Oriru as per requested. "Do what I do best huh?"  He could only assume that was in reference to his previous titles specifically, as of recently abandoning his posts was likely not the purpose in said statement. "I'll follow from your rear, just outside the line of vision. It's best that we keep close, but expand our field of vision as much as possible." Hitsuyona had already taken note of the great difficulty to rely on any of his senses; at least, the difficulty of which he had to use them as compared to normal. Luckily enough for himself he was far too used to being subject to these kinds of situations. Teikei Kage had truly prepared this Onmitsukido Member for any and all environments in the past. "You must rely on your earthly senses within this territory Oriru, any irregularity's among spiritual pressure will only be recognized if incredibly obvious , but it seems as though sound will be our most reliable resource." 

Even within the irregularity of the mist that the trio would now find themselves in Hitsuyona could distinguish the footsteps of his allies, and so he used such to keep track of their whereabouts for the time being. It would also be duely noted that he could feel the presence of the wakizashi attached to Genshi, a feat he'd originally intended to place upon Oriru for safe keeping. It would then reach the inevitability of proposed questioning that Hitsuyona was attempting to avoid, as the Captain asks of his disappearance. It was surely a good question that demanded answers, and he was trying to prepare for it from the moment of his arrival. After allowing a slight sigh to escape his lips; one of which would have clearly been heard, he pitches his voice in the direction of the questioner. "I retreated to the outskirts of Rukongai in search of a way to separate the parasite that infects me; yet, it would appear that the hollow within is embedded within my very existence, and a complete separation is impossible. The only way to ensure the safety of the seireitei is purification through means of the Quincy, or to bear the curse. " 

The shinigami lightly touched where the curse seal once held the beast within, and looked upwards only to see further darkness. "I managed to dig deeper into my family history, only to find that I was one of many hybrids from birth, but such answers came at a steep cost. " His quickened his movements just long enough to come within eyeshot of his comrade, and raised his spiritual pressure slightly to reveal its true signature. Upon revealing a portion beneath his cloak, and allowing them to exend slight, chains would slightly rattle within earshot of the duo. "I've been to the fiery pits and lived to tell the tale, from the shadows I have came, but with secrets of a way to dwell among-st the planes. It wasn't my fate to dwell in such a place, but their grasps clutches tightly on any who enter." 

Allowing the chains to retract once more he would retreat just out of sight to keep the formation in-line. "I deeply regret the selfish actions I took, but a fate outside of home is total damnation my friend, and i seek to right my transgressions in due time." The weary souls hands clutch tightly upon the hilt of it's zanpaktou as he keeps and ear out for any foreigners among their formation, watching intently as permitted within the mysterious mist they found themselves indulged. 

Spoiler

Info to be added. Nothing relevant against anyone.

WC: 938

over 1500, Mastered mask

• Like 4

The arrival of the unnatural storm that loomed above the cemetery would expose an unknown property of the Baleful Mist that would unfortunately go almost entirely unnoticed. As thunder and lightning boomed in the heavens and registered as distant rumbles and flashes of light to those stranded within the mist. Wafts of harrowing grey veil rose high into the storm clouds and encompassed it. Though the storm showed no detectable signs of dissipation, its essence was surely being assimilated into the twisted and malformed miscellany spiritual pressure that was the Baleful Mist. This strange phenomenon was an ever present reality in the mist that very rarely occurred on a scale large enough to be noticeable. Of all the doomed souls wandering the mist and being slowly consumed by it, there was only one who would possibly notice the very faint distinction of the storm's Reiatsu permeating throughout the mist in a constant disarrayed flux. That one person was Connor Knight, who possessed a unique ability that sharply enhanced his senses, including his ability to sense spiritual pressures. To Connor, and anyone who possessed sensory enhancement abilities similar to his, essence of the storm cloud --and, by direct extension, essence of one Hitsuyona Shizukesa-- would appear to be ever present in the storm. Coincidentally, with just the passage of a few more minutes, Connor Knight's own Spirit Pressure would similarly distinguish itself within the thousands of presences in the mist. The mist would mysterious appear to thicken around the sources of these spiritual outputs, but that fact too would go largely unnoticed. From the perspective of those wandering within, they were all equally trapped. This was certainly true. They were all equally trapped and equally doomed. However, perhaps some fleeting solace could be had in the knowledge that some would face the inevitable sooner than others. 

------

Chance of Encounter: Guaranteed.

[Connor - Ryūnosuke - Masato]

The Baleful Mist watched three particular wanderers at the destination they had been guided to through its distinguished power over their kind. Alas, the mist was not able to guide them to the exact location it desired. These three souls were much to heavy and for now, the mist would be unable to move them again. It mattered not, there were other means. Several thousands of them. The mist would quickly invade invisible barrier surrounding Connor and his comrades and again cloud their visions to about six feet outwards. It would whistle lightly as it engulfed the once cleared space. The mist fell into an unnatural and ominous silence that lingered for the longest twenty-seven seconds any of the three had ever lived. Then the wails and howls began just as hands of bone and decayed flesh lunged outwards from the Baleful Mist. The decayed hands, attached to decayed arms, attached to decayed shoulders, attached undead bodies that sprung from the clouded veil and upon the three humans from seemingly every direction at once. The awakened undead clawed forth, unearthing themselves from graves all around the trio. They thrashed at the humans with their airs and gnawed at them with mouths that out-poured mist like smoke. The undead were quick, but their range of motion we noticeably impaired --limited to mindless thrashing, biting and tackling. Still they were ever persistent in their assault, attacked in droves, and in any manner that they physically could. The horde of undead noticeably seemed to have distinct targets and at this moment, Connor Knight appeared to be the primary target.

------

[Oriru - Hitsuyona]

After passing through the gate Oriru and Hitsuyona would soon come upon a grassy hill split in two halves by a stoned path riddled with two seas on graves on both sides. If they inspected the hill, the surveillance orbs of Oriru's Zanpakutō would clearly see the gravestones. Though very unlikely, given the thick coat of mist that covered the hill, the orbs might have even seen the pits dug out in front of each of the graves. In either case, the hordes of undead wailed as the charged from the sides of the hill, directly at Oriru and Genshi. The horde that attacked Hitsuyona did not attack from the hill, rather they stormed the storm-herding Vaizard suddenly from behind. Bursting into the cemetery from the gates and scaling over the brick walls by the hundreds. Task Force Commander Nyujin and rest of entirety of the Shinigami forces that had been left behind just moments prior were nowhere to be seen amidst the massive wave of decay. Their shouts and cries, however, could be clearly heard as flashes of Reiatsu were faintly detected through the mist, likely the Shinigami fighting their damnedest to hold back the unstoppable horde. Nyujin's repeated orders for his subordinates were heard for only seconds before his voice too went silent. No matter what action was taken it would be too late for the them. Should the pair of Captains and Lieutenant Genshi survive the encounter and seek out their comrades, they would find no one. Each and everyone one of the Shinigami left behind would be gone without a trace.

All throughout the cemetery and within the reach of the Baleful Mist, the wanderers were similarly attack. Countless cries of terror could be heard echoing through the distance and carried into the deepest depths of the Baleful Mist directly to Egriffiend's pale ear. She responded with a shrill cry of her own in turn. Her Night of Wailing had finally begun.

[Instructions: Survive. Free-Form Battles: In the case of the horde NPCs everyone is allowed to use their techniques and abilities freely for the purpose of the story. The only restriction is that you are allowed only 8 Attacks per post. Players are also allowed to assist their allies in defeating the NPCs not targeting them personally.]

------------------------

Spoiler

Rotted Wailers: Unearthed bodies of the dead, mysteriously reanimated by the power of the Mists. The are all in the later stages of physical decay. They travel exclusively in hordes, if one is seen alone, make no mistake that others are nearby. The Rotted Wailers appear to have no free will of their own and appear to have a hive-mind mentality. Rotted Wailers have a limited range of physical capabilities, they have considerable agility but their actions seem limited to charging and thrashing at intended targets. Nevertheless, what the wailers lack in dexterity, they make up for in sheer numbers. The primary battle tactic of the Rotted Wailers is to overwhelm the target, pinning them down by any means necessary. The Rotted Wailers travel in almost complete silence, the nature of the mist also makes them virtually undetectable through sensory abilities. Luckily, as their name suggests, the Rotted Wailers announce their presence when they attack, mainly through sickening wails, shrieks, and howls. Mist called Baleful Breath pours profusely from the decrepit bodies of the Rotted Wailers like smoke, mostly from the mouths. They seem to use this property of their physicality to accelerate the effect of the Baleful Mist.

Baleful Breath: Coming in contact with the mist pouring from Rotted Wailers does direct ND Drain for every Rotted Wailer remaining in your proximity (those still targeting you) at the end of your turn. Example: Oriru Encounters 10 Rotted Wailers with 100 Baleful Breath. He manages to destroy 5 of them by the end of his post. He would take 500 ND Damage at the end of his post.

Connor Targeted By 17 Rotted Wailers | Ryūnosuke Targeted By 7 Rotted Wailers | Masato Targeted By 5 Rotted Wailers 

Oriru Targeted By 8 Rotted Wailers +3 Targeting Genshi | Hitsuyona Targeted By 15 Rotted Wailers 

---------

Rotted Wailers Stats & Information: 

Reiatsu: ???,??? (Not affected by Reiatsu Differences)

HP: 2 Hit (If Attack is 100 Power or Higher. 3 Hits if Attack is Lower than 100)

Speed: 140 

Physical Strength: 140 

Baleful Breath: 50 (Ryūnosuke - Masato - Oriru NPCs) | 100 (Connor - Hitsuyona NPCs)

Disengagement: Rotted Wailer are incapable of making defensive maneuvers and take any damage inflicted directly to their HP. Only when they hit zero HP are the Rotted Wailers truly destroyed. It is possible to run away from the Rotted Wailer's temporarily as long as the method of escape is reasonable. Fleeing prevents ND Damage from Baleful Breath. HOWEVER, the Rotten Wailers will endlessly pursue each turn and be added to the total number of enemies targeting your character (which has the potential to accumulate with each turn.)

-----

Spoiler

Chance of Encounter: is a random roll down at the start of all Egriffiend Turns. It Determines if the players will encounter a new horde or enemy, or if they will have a turn to rest or finish off any remaining threats from the previous turns. 

The Current Chance of Encounter is 75% for both groups. There are situations and actions that can increase/decrease the Chances Of Encounter. I will keep you all updated when these changes are activated. 

---------------

Aggro: NPC determines the likelihood of a certain player being targeted by an enemy and how many new enemies target them in a given turn. This rate can be temporarily increased/decreased by certain actions. And different NPC types have different Aggro Rates. 

Rotted Wailers: Hordes target in groups of 5-15. (10-25 Currently for Connor and Hitsuyona).

Frenzied Wailers: ???

• Like 2

Oriru Kusho [Niebla Nefasta Effect: -150 ND] [REMAINING ND| 13,050 - 150 = 12,900]
Ginger Genshi [Niebla Nefasta Effect: -150 ND] [REMAINING ND4,450 - 150 = 4,300]

Oriru continued with his approach as Genshi maintained her close distance to the Captain still entirely engrossed in her book. There was a moment that Hitsuyona pointed out a need to focus on their earthly senses and the Captain internalized his humor realizing that it had been quite sometime since the former operative of the Onmitsukido had interacted with Oriru. Back then the now Captain was a desk worker with rarely a semblance of control of power or abilities, but now there is a clear difference in where they stood with one another. Though after posing his own inquiry, Oriru truly curious as to why this temporary ally would have made the decision to depart and desert his home.

There was the clear sign of remorse spoken by the deserter as he told the tale of his corruption and search for redemption through another cursed objective. This man was afflicted with the bane of the Soul Reapers mission and then searched for a remedy through the tools of the very ones that push the balance aside. All the while this was explained, Oriru maintained use of his orbs to continue surveillance of the immediate area and gather any information from the environment. The mist was dense which caused complications, providing a visual impairment, and as such limited what notes could be gathered. From his coat pocket a notebook would drift out into the air with a pen and start to write something down of its own accord. 

The deserter decided to really allow himself to be heard and speak his entire tale of suffering upon the Captain, even so much to reveal the literal chains that bound him to such a cursed existence. There was, if even for a moment, a sign of remorse for the suffering of this lost soul but in the end Oriru maintains the rights of procedure and the suffering that his ally has gone through would be of his own accord to deal with for not taking the chance to reach out to his home, his family. Moments went by and the mist started to provide a strange sensation of familiarity, among the mass of spiritual entities that seem to be a part of this mess of pressure included a momentary flicker of that human from the gate with minimal control on his own massive spiritual pressure.

The sudden shouting of various members of the Third Task Force, even the screams of Nyujin seemed to echo for a moment showing a sign of anguish. Oriru and Genshi paused in their steps and looked back, attempting to track the source of their comrades but their spiritual pressure was dispersed among the mist as if the power was everywhere but coming from no specific location. This was instantly paired with a shift in the moment for the trio as the sounds of movement could be heard and instantly become a symphony of wails. Beings of total decay approached the group from various areas of the hill and an even larger force of individuals were swarming from behind. 

Genshi brought her attention back to her book as the crowd continued to approach, "Ginger?" With that response, Lieutenant Genshi would close her book and put it away. With a flick of her wrist, "Sever all ties, Shokki", each of her hands appeared four senbon needles each and she threw one at each of Oriru's orbs causes the sound of metal upon metal to echo with an eerie sound. Simultaneous to this action, Oriru raised his hand in the air, "Bakudo number Sixty Two," Above his head formed a bright white metal rod before 99 more formed throughout the area in the air, "Hyapporankan." Each of the rods turned solid black and rained down upon all of the approaching creatures becoming embedded in their decaying flesh, but they were stronger than Oriru considered as they remained standing and continued their approach. 

Suddenly the eight orbs that were still creating an eerie echo moved through the crowds of creatures each going around about three each with two going around four of them. The perceptive ones would notice very thin black strings connected to each of the orbs wrapping around the black rods, each one vibrating very lightly. Tracing the origin of the strings would lead to the hands of Genshi as she passed both pairs of groups of threads to Oriru who took them in his left hand, "Hado Number Eleven, Tsuzuri Raiden." Instantly a surge of lightning would trace the black thread created by Genshi reaching the black rods and instantly generating a black burst of electrical energy. 

While the attacking creatures became electrocuted, the notebook in the air continued to write down notes as Genshi went back to her book in her bag. Oriru turned his gaze towards the distance as the threads and black rods faded away and the orbs returned to orbit, "Well that was inconvenient."

Features in Effect
Shikai Released | Shokki (織機, "Loom") +600 ND [Applied]
Anzen'na (安全な, "Secure") | ???

Shikai Released | +600 ND [Applied]
Event Horizon | ???
Singularity | ???
WC | 870

• Like 3

[Niebla Nefasta Effect: -150 ND] [Remaining ND: 6,050 - 150 = 5,900]

Moments after he finished speaking Connor cocked his head to the side slightly, listening to the muffled rumbling of thunder. It’s directional sound suggested it was above them, yet there hadn’t been any previous signs suggesting that it would storm. ‘Either that was another aspect of this mist, or it’s likely there is a new arrival…’ The unnatural appearance of a phenomenon like thunder at this time was enough for Connor to be aware that something had changed about the situation. His thoughts favored a new arrival as there wasn’t any previous ‘stormy’ sensations from the reiatsu within the mist. Based on his limited experience with his teacher and himself, Connor felt that it was more common for aspects of the element to be expressed through the reiatsu. It may not be the most accurate train of thought, but he also knew that the messy blend of reiatsu within the mist wasn’t in line with that type of power.

“Seems so, I can’t reach my guys at all.” These words from Tengu brought Connor’s attention back to the conversation. He felt a bit guilty about how rude he had been to be distracted from the two as they spoke. He had managed to hear most of what was said previously, but he had nearly returned to a distracted state. In order to remedy that feeling he made a point to focus on the speaker this time. “No, I didn’t hear anything, I wasn’t paying attention. What about you, Hizorashi-san?” As Tengu passed the conversation over to Masato Connor once again heard the rumbling of thunder. If he had doubts after the first instance, then after the second he could confirm it as thunder. He chose to believe that there was a new arrival somewhere else in the mist who caused the situation. Had it been a natural storm, Connor would have likely been able to sense the electric charge in the air. It also confirmed that the sense of hearing was affected to some extent for thunder so near to transmit as if it were far in the distance. 

“No, I must’ve missed it too,” With Masato’s confirmation, Connor decided to share the little bit of important information that he was able to glean from the Shinigami side. Perhaps due to being subconsciously on edge due to the mist, Connor failed to notice anything strange about Masato. Under normal circumstances he may have been able to notice the slight signs that Masato was uncomfortable about his question. Before he could speak to explain Masato continued once more as a cyan strand extended from Masato’s coat in his direction. To Connor who was inspecting it curiously as it approached it appear more reminiscent of a thinner rope than a thread. “Since we can’t sense each other’s reiatsu, we can stay connected with my Fullbring.” Connor didn’t speak out to express that at least for now he could sense them fairly clearly, but instead calmly accepted it into his right hand slightly unsure as to what he should do with it. “With this I can tell if we are splitting too far apart,” After a short pause a strange protrusion came from the coat and stuck into the ground. Following that, Masato continued to speak. “And retrace our steps.” 

A faint glimmer of appreciation was in Connor’s gaze as he fully understood Masato’s intentions. It felt like a good option for them in order to prevent the trio from getting lost in the mist. At the very least, not anymore lost than they already were. Connor intended to speak at this moment to express his opinion and share information, but he happened to catch a certain presence within the mist. It wasn’t one that he was familiar with, but it stuck out to him at that moment. He had previously came to his own conclusion about the thunder, and it relied on the lack of ‘stormy’ sensation present within the mist. Between then and just a few moments earlier, he noticed that bits of reiatsu reflecting that element had appeared. Had it been another element Connor may not have noticed, but he personally was extremely attuned with the element on top of several other factors which let him confirm that it had suddenly appeared in this short span of time. The other factors being the attention he to be able to take note of the previous lack of similar presence and his above average sensory capabilities. 

Connor couldn’t stop his thoughts from racing at that moment. The recent arrival of an unnatural storm, the growing addition of a stormy reiatsu within the mist, the strange amalgamation of reiatsu signatures, and the particular location all flashed through his head. If their current situation were likened to a puzzle, then it felt like he had suddenly found several pieces for a section of the puzzle. ‘I need to confirm this…’ Coincidentally, he was the most appropriate subject to confirm his suspicions at this moment. A quick glance at the edge of the mist that was constantly inching towards them was plenty for him to build the courage to share his theory, but first he would relay the confirmed information. “There were two key points that I overheard from the Shinigami. First, there is no known successful communication into or out of this mist. It’s unlikely that it’s possible to find one which would work within either.” He paused and glanced at Tengu who was slowly being enveloped in mist at this moment. “It makes sense that you can’t contact them if the Shinigami have yet to find an answer after this much time has passed. Second, a total of forty Shinigami have entered this mist during the last two years. It’s hard to imagine that they didn’t send anyone moderately powerful last year, so we should assume that there is something extremely dangerous about this mist or something lurking within. Either way, these were the bits that seemed important.” He paused once more and inhaled for deeply for a moment and exhaled before continuing. “What I am going to say next can’t be completely confirmed, but knowing the possibility is important.” Connor made a point to pause here and look at the two nearby, hoping that they would consider the possibility of his theory. “I’m sure that you all have noticed by now that this space is shrinking progressively. Based on that, and other factors I have reason to believe that the reason this mist is filled with such a jumbled mess of reiatsu is because it possesses the ability to steadily devour energy and assimilate it.” Connor raised his right hand slightly to inspect the cyan thread as he spoke. “If that’s the case, there isn’t any guarantee that a Fullbring can guarantee our location or prevent our separation. I don’t think we shouldn’t take advantage of this, but we should be careful to not be surprised if anything relying on energy mysteriously fails us here.” 

In the time that he had spoken, the original space of ten feet had basically vanished completely. There was a haze impairing his vision now that the mist had completely encroached upon them. The density of the mist caused anything beyond six feet to appear as a gray hazy shadow at best. A faint eerie whistling sound could be heard at roughly the same moment the mist had reached him with no clear origin. After having come to his own conclusion about the mist, Connor saw the mist more as a living being compared to the reiatsu he viewed it as previously. Without understanding the origin of the sound or the purpose, he felt reminded of a beast howling in excitement after a satisfactory meal. What followed was an extended dreadful silence. To Connor, it was as if all the sounds of nature ceased reaching him at this moment. For someone like him who was extremely sensitive towards his surroundings to suddenly being limited to the few sounds produced by himself, Tengu, and Masato was ominous to say the least. His instinct told him that ‘something’ was coming at that moment. 

More than twenty seconds passed in suspense before he noticed something off. A peculiar stench was slowly filling the area reminiscent of the common roadkill he encountered frequently back home. All around their group was a mysterious shuffling sound confusing his sense of hearing to some extent. All he could take from it was what seemed to be a larger amount of the sound near him. He knew that whatever made those sounds was just outside of view. The suspense was killing him at this moment. He was ready to pounce on whatever appeared from within. His mind was clearing of rational thoughts in preparation for whatever may come his way. As he prepared for battle Connor made a point to roll his wrist twice in order to wrap the thread around his hand and tuck the end under in his palm to prevent losing it suddenly. Among the last thoughts running through his mind was for him to warn Masato and Tengu of the appearing enemies. Shadowy figures appeared on the edge of his vision just as he was about to alert the two behind him. His voice caught in his throat at the human silhouettes. For just a split second he had convinced himself into thinking that it could be Shinigami approaching him. That moment of hesitation prevented him from shouting ‘Enemies!’, also causing him to lose the chance before they appeared.

Several pairs of grotesque hands pierced the veil of mist at that moment. Connor couldn’t prevent his eyes widening in surprise as he understood the origin of that rotten scent. He hadn’t expected his first gory experience to involve the decayed bodies of humans. The sight of the flesh with insects crawling within, the exposed and deteriorating organs, and chunks of missing flesh revealing white bones filled Connor’s vision. The wails, shrieks, and howls were unlike anything a human should be able to produce. Despite having seen records about hollows making similar noises, Connor believed that the sounds produced at this moment were far more disturbing. Any other time, he would have been retching at the sight. Despite growing stronger, Connor had never experienced such a thing before. In a lot of ways he was like a simple twenty something year old young adult, and like any normal person his first encounter with dead bodies couldn’t be done calmly. Especially considering the state of decay shown by the undead. Unfortunately, Connor was quick to understand that either the mist or what controlled it was disturbing the dead and treating them likely tools to assault them igniting Connor’s fury. It felt wrong to see the remains of already put to rest people standing before him as some disfigured abomination. It upset Connor who knew that his only option was to crush them with force. It was in this moment that he resolved himself to end whatever sick creature did this. Seeing this darker side to the spiritual world was a wake-up call to Connor, reminding him that death would be a part of his life for as long as he remained an active member of the spiritual society.

After overcoming the urge to vomit and and succumbing to his rage, Connor found himself calmer than usual. It was as if the flames of his fury burnt away all of his unnecessary emotions allowing him to act in an unrestrained manner. He felt pity for the several bodies charging at him, but that disappeared as soon as it appeared. What he needed was to vent his frustrations, and at this moment the very thing he pitied was the only thing with substance to accept his rage. As his emotions surged higher, so to did his energy. As his energy grew stronger, Connor found himself instinctively drawing on his potential to unleash various support techniques. Lightning danced up and down his figure causing a golden glow to appear in the mist for allies and enemies alike to pinpoint. He didn’t bother suppressing it as it was apparent that they could be tracked within the mist based on the sudden appearance of enemies. 

The time felt like it had stopped as his mind operated at extreme speeds, and the horde had only just pierced the veil. They hadn’t surrounded him, possibly to avoid the other groups that had different targets. The reason for it wasn’t important, but he knew that they were grouped together competing to reach him first. If he let them approach freely then he didn’t doubt that the pushing of those behind would gradually spread the front wider, but Connor moved right as his reiryoku overflowed. He tightly clenched the cyan thread in his hand as he deftly rounded the crowd to the left. His sudden movements caused them to pause in an attempt to shift in his direction, but Connor’s speed exceeded them by quite a bit at this moment. When you factored in his speed and their stiff movements, it was relatively simple for him to weave close to the zombies while avoiding their attacks. Even in the case of someone nimble that moved at the speed on these rotten corpses he would possess an advantage when it came to following their movements. It could be said that against simple minded corpses Connor felt no danger, further infuriating him to know that the dead pointlessly disturbed. 

When he stopped moving he had returned to a spot three feet behind where he had started. Around the crowd now existed the cyan thread that had extended with his movements. It was a snug fit for the bodies within as it caused the seventeen total to be grouped tightly. Connor’s eyebrows were slightly knit as his eyes seemingly reflected very little emotion while observing them group. If not for the slight frown on his face and bloodshot eyes it would be easy to misunderstand that he felt nothing at this moment. At some point in the movement he had freed the thread wrapped around his right hand, and that end was now held in his left hand. His right now held the part that was closest to Masato as it trailed off behind him for what was likely only a few feet at this point. The end of the thread held by his left hand had been crossed over the top of the one held in his right and looped under before back up. Because of his actions the cyan thread perfectly squeezed them all together and pulled taut in front of him. The group had stumbled forward a few more steps in the process, but it was too late to reach Connor. The knuckles on each of his hands was white due to the strength with which he tightened his grip. Without any hesitation each arm yanked outward to his side with his full force in two opposing directions. The result of this action was the half knot in the thread tightening further into a brutal attack.

In the next instant, Connor saw a sight that would be burned into his memory for life alongside the clear sound of countless bones shattering in unison. The fragments of bones pierced through the rotten flesh. Chunks of flesh separated from the several bodies along where the thread passed. Blood didn’t flow from the bodies due to the absence of most of it and stagnation of the tiny bit that remained. What little was there could be called blackish brown goo that covered the meat paste like wounds which passed through the upper body of the undead. The severed upper portion seemed to rise up a few inches into the air due to the pressure that was used to crush them apart. After this bit of violence was unleashed, he was able to douse the flames of anger and return to his more natural state which was accompanied by a wave of nausea at the scene. He chose to turn away and observe his companions at this moment rather than continue observing his handiwork. At the same time, he made a point to untangle the thread and rewrap it around his right hand. Electric arcs still danced on his body in preparation to assist either Masato or Tengu if needed. At the same time, he was thankful that he had managed to maintain the same level of reiatsu output despite his rage filled actions.

-Abilities Used-

Spoiler

[PASSIVE] Enhanced Senses: As the energy permeated his body Connor came to realize his various bodily functions improved. All his organs experienced major improvements. The greatest improvements came from the brain which controlled all bodily function; however, the various organs all improved in functionality throughout the body. The most apparent improvement was to the five sensory which all grew much stronger and benefited in the form of a natural protection against negative status effects. Due to the strengthened senses, Connor's awareness towards his surroundings improved and even affected his spiritual sense to a certain extent. 

-Combat/Stat Effects-

Not Revealed 

-Stats-

Spoiler

Reiatsu| 124,000 

Natural Defense| 5,900

Power| 126

Strength| 199

Reiryoku| 73

Stamina| 165

Speed| 165

Perception| 165

Throw Speed| 192

Reiryoku Speed| 91

Word Count: 2,748

Overall Word Count: 7,484

OOC: To clarify, each pull is considered an 'attack' to create a single action. 

• Like 3

ENW 05: ENCOUNTER WITH THE ROTTED WAILERS

-----

[Niebla Nefasta Effect: -150 ND] [REMAINING ND| 6,150 - 150 - 150 = 5,900]

... RYŪNOSUKE nodded in approval as the cyan thread of Hizorashi's coat extended towards him. The thread appeared to move freely through the air, like it were a slithering serpent, and then over the teenager's left shoulder. The Tengu-masked Fullbringer observed the thread curiously from the corner of his eye as the it weaved into the fleece material of his orange jacket, just above his collar bone. "That's neat." Ryūnosuke remarked mirthfully in response to both the actions of thread and Hizorashi's explanation for extending them. The plan was effective overall from Ryūnosuke's point of view. He wondered what else Hizorashi's Fullbring, which appeared to be focused in his cyan jacket, could do.

Hizorashi wasn't the only one thinking proactively it seemed; Connor had apparently been turning his mental gears and arrived at a theory regarding the mysterious nature of the mist. Before that, he filled Ryūnosuke and Hizorashi in on some of the information he gleaned from eavesdropping on the Shinigami at the gate. As Connor verbally confirmed that the mist did in fact disable all communications devices Ryūnosuke was not surprised at all; given that he'd basically arrived at the same conclusion just moments earlier. It was good to be certain, nonetheless. At this point Ryūnosuke was more concerned with what Chizuru and the others had done or were planning to do. They were probably fine as long as they didn't enter the mist after him, but with circumstances as they were, he had no way of knowing whether or not they came into the mist trying to to save him. Ryūnosuke could do nothing but hope and pray the Professor ordered them to stay away. Connor then shared his more speculative theory about the mist, the Tengu-masked Fullbringer simply crossed his arms and followed along. "I’m sure that you all have noticed by now that this space is shrinking progressively. Based on that, and other factors I have reason to believe that the reason this mist is filled with such a jumbled mess of reiatsu is because it possesses the ability to steadily devour energy and assimilate it.”, Connor explained. It was an interesting theory that, given his own bit of deduction, Ryūnosuke had more or less arrived at as well. He hadn't quite fully guessed that the mist was actively consuming the Spiritual Pressures of the things and beings within it but Ryūnosuke recognized that the mist was thick with a twisted, sinister mix and mess of thousands of Reiatsu signatures. He simply deduced that those many Spiritual Pressures had to originate from somewhere. The idea that they were possibly all slowly yet surely being devoured and assimilated into the mist was terrifying --bizarre even. Nonetheless, the theory was one so far supported by all the evidence, including the rapid shrinking of Connor's own Reiastu barrier. Ryūnosuke did not detect that Connor had in anyway suppressed his Reiatsu. The only issue was that Ryūnosuke's Reiatsu-sensing capabilities were being so disrupted by the mist that he couldn't confirm if Connor's own Reiatsu --or any of theirs-- had been absorbed into it and if so, to what degree. “If that’s the case, there isn’t any guarantee that a Fullbring can guarantee our location or prevent our separation. I don’t think we shouldn’t take advantage of this, but we should be careful to not be surprised if anything relying on energy mysteriously fails us here.”, Connor finished.

At that point Ryūnosuke was surrounded by the mist entirely, he could only just make out Connor's hazy silhouette about seven feet away. He couldn't see Hizorashi at all anymore. Fortunately, the cyan thread was serving its purpose as a direct line connecting all three of them. "I have a feeling the only way out of this mist is to get rid of whatever is causing it. Issue is, we don't have anything to point us in its direction." Ryūnosuke paused there, he was annoyed that he had nothing beneficial to contribute to conversation or the group overall. Connor seemed to have the most information about the mist thanks to what he overheard from the Shinigami and Hizorashi's threads ensured that no one was separated from the trio and lost in the mist, at least for now. Ryūnosuke had done nothing but state the obvious. The fact that he'd been basically useless to the group so far was not sitting well with the teenager's competitive spirit. Ryūnosuke always knew exactly where he belonged in a team and what his role was --most of the time it was the leader and backbone. It was that way in his highschool Baseball team and now in WILD'S as well. He was never ever the "benched guy", the guy who got "carried" and that's how he felt at the moment. But what was he to do about it? He couldn't just assume leadership of the team, firstly both Hizorashi and Connor were older than the seventeen year old, and on top of that he imagined they were all around his same level of power. Heck, Connor might have even been more powerful than him. Bottom line, there was no reason for either of them to blindly follow him.

A whistle in the mist distracted Ryūnosuke from his thoughts, "Ugh, keep your head in the game, idiot.", he grunted under his breath. He looked around the swaying mist, his brows furrowed as his eyes scanned left and right. Something was off. It was far too quiet. The kind of unnerving and foreboding silence that made his hair stand. As the silence dragged on, the teenager instinctively reached over his right shoulder for the leather grip of his aluminum baseball bat as he peered forwards. The teenager's fingers had barely touched the bat when the first of the undead of barreled into his view with a sickening howl.

"UWAH!" The teenager exclaimed in terror at the sight of the decayed body charging towards him, just six feet away. He'd just was quickly heard more of the howls and wails come from behind him and from his sides, right as he was hit from behind and knocked mask-first onto the stone pavement. He immediately felt the weight beginning to pile on him as bony arms and hands of dry and wrinkled flesh, maggot-ridden and covered in black soil reached over his head thrashing and clawing at his mask. The putrid stench of rot and decay was so unbearably horrid that the teenager began to feel faint-headed as his gut twisted and convulsed with the urge to vomit. The head of one of the unearthed corpses loomed in front of Ryūnosuke's face and blocked his vision. It started to gape its jaws of rotted black teeth and exposed its shriveled grey tongue. The teenager could see what looked like a small snake slithering up the throat and into the skull of the very human carcass. The decayed flesh of its cheeks was peeled down and exposed bone. The eyes were empty black pits and only the left side of the head was covered in long strands of frilly black hair caked with rotten flesh and dirt. As the corpse began to let out a loud shrieking wail the mist surrounding its form appeared to pour out of it's mouth and eye sockets as if it were smoke from an exhaust pipe. "Not good!" Ryūnosuke grunted hoarsely through his mask and wasted not a second longer before getting himself out of his most unfortunate and harrowing situation.

The Tengu-masked Fullbringer concentrated his Reiatsu around his body and the burnt-orange energy manifested as hooded cloak that encased his entire being from the mask down. The cloak suddenly writhed upon itself before it spontaneously swirled from under the pile of corpses. It waved through the air just above the ground and glided pass the flesh-less left ankle of the first undead corpse. The cloak rose from the ground and stood straight, like a twisted towel before it rapidly unraveled and spread outwards into the wingspan of a great Tengu, revealing the masked Fullbringer with his bat drawn and ready as the cloak dissipated into the mist. The entire escape happened in what was no more than a fraction of a second. As the Rotted Wailers turned or looked up and reacquired their target, Ryūnosuke had already struck his metal bat across the ground. This action marked the activation of his Fullbring, League of One's Own: Open Battle. A Flurry of dark-orange embers shot through the air as the metal bat scrapped across the stone walkway. All but one of the sparks gathered into a single sentient blob that hovered beside the teenager; it was Lumpu. The remaining spark shot directly into the chest of the first corpse as it started to charge at Ryūnosuke again, back in the direction from which it first arrived. The spark expanded into the form of a Reishi baseball that was visibly glowing and lodged halfway into the corpse's torso.

The fist-sized orb of Reiatsu with a pair of large and very expressive cartoony eyes very obnoxiously announced "Play!", as the outline of a rectangular box formed around Ryūnosuke's feet. "Ace is in the batter's box but it seems the pitcher for team Zombies has abandoned the mound and is running with the ball directly at the batter. I've never seen anything like it!" Lumpu narrated enthusiastically. Ryūnosuke rolled his eyes, wound back his bat, and aimed his swing for the glowing orb, completing ignoring the decayed husk surrounding it. Ryūnosuke swung as soon as his undead attacker was within reach. The impact of the hit fired the orb off into the sky like an orange shooting star while the corpse was sent careening airborne as it burst into a ball of flame and burnt to ash before it even touched the ground. "Ace hits that ball dead center and starts the game strong with a homerun!", Lumpu cheered as Ryūnosuke completed his swing and released his bat behind him. It twirled through the air and disappears into the mist.

Ryunosuke immediately pinpointed the locations of all the corpses now within his field of vision. He counted six more; two coming from his, three from ahead (the three that had pilled on him before), and a loner charging him for the left at an angle. The teenager smirked behind his mask as he began to advance bases; he sprinted at blistering speed appearing as an orange blur, to the first pair. He doesn't attack them, but simply stepped into their presence as a base plate (a square Reishi platform) appeared on the ground beneath them. Ryūnosuke nimbly evaded the thrashings and lunges just before he dashed towards the trio and established the second base. Each time the teenager left a base an explosion was triggered that detonated the platform, like a landmine, and a column of orange flames swallowed the corpses caught in it. The Tengu-masked teen then formed the third base. Not on the ground like it predecessors, but as a square platform on the back of the loner corpse. Ryūnosuke charged at the creature from behind, stomped over its back, and kicked off to launch himself through the air and back to the place he started at the batter's box; leaving to detonation of the third base to engulf the sixth corpse. Ryūnosuke observed, much to his unpleasant shock, that the remaining six corpses had not permanently fallen like the first. Instead, even as they were completely engulfed in flames and having their rotten flesh burned away, the undead horde continued its charge.

Without missing a beat, the masked teenager shift his right foot backwards and pivoted to a sideways stance with his left shoulder pointed to his first pair of targets. The lines on the ground signifying the batter's box faded away and the ground beneath Ryūnosuke assumed its new designation as per Lumpu's narration, "Ace steps to the pitcher's mound. Team Zombie batters are up!" Ryūnosuke took a deep breath and conjured an orb of Reishi that solidified into a baseball in his cupped palms just before he primed his pitch and bulleted it at the first two corpses. The ball pierced through both their flame-lit heads, which were instantly and simultaneously incinerated before the bodies fell sickeningly to the ground and burned away. "Strike One!" Ryūnosuke then stood straight and conjured a second orb, and again fired the pitch through the air, this time at the trio, who were all obliterated from the waist up as the ball detonated midair into a shotgun-like blast of flame. "Strike Two!", Lumpu called. Ryūnosuke had no time to wind up his next throw as the last of the corpses had closed in on him. The teenager raised his left arm and grabbed the sixth undead carcass by the shoulder as it lunged forward and chomped its jaws repeatedly at the his face, mist teeming from its jaws and the gaps between the exposed rows of his left ribs. In his free right palm, the Tengu-masked Fullbringer conjured a third ball of Reishi, and promptly proceeded to jam it into the jaws of the howling corpse. Its wails were muffled for just an instant before the orb detonated in a final orange blaze. The body was reduced to ash that floated faded into the mist in mere seconds. "Strike Three! Out!" Lump declared before flying in a circle around Ryūnosuke's head and then suddenly popped out of existence --much to Ryūnosuke's joy. It annoyed him that he'd yet master his Fullbring to the point that he could summon Lumpu at will or preferably not summon him at all. "What the Hell?" The teenager gasped through his mask as he began to follow Hirorashi's thread back to it owner, keeping an eye out for Connor and as well as any other undead. He held his right arm outwards as he ran, within seconds he heard the metallic whirl of his bat in the air, right before it broke through the mist and returned to his firm grasp...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TURN STATS]

Spoiler

REIASTU [123,000]

CLASS| AGILE [Sub-Class: BRUTE|EAGLE-EYES]

ND| 5,900 [+1200] 7,100

POWER| 108  [125% / 50%]

SPEED| 155 [+12] 167

STAMINA| 148 [+12] 160

PERCEPTION| 169 [+12] 181

STRENGTH| 135 [+12] 147 [PROJECTILE SPEED: 139 [+12] 151]

REIRYOKU| 54 [+12] 66 [PROJECTILE SPEED: 74 [+12] 86]

---------------------------
[ACTIONS]

Spoiler

Release Complete Fullbring:  League of One's Own: Open Battle!  (リーグ・オブ・ワンズ・オーン:オープン戦, Rīgu Obu Wanzu Ōn: Ōpen Sen!): +12 to all stats.

Abilities Used: TENGU'S TRICKERY [AGILE CLASS "Ghosting" Cosmetic] | Batting Stage | BASE - ADVANCE | Pitching Stage | Ball Materialization - GAFU COMBINING | Kyūshu (球種, Pitch Variety) - PIERCE IMPACT/SPREAD IMPACT

----------

Rotted Wailers Destoryed 7/7

ATTACKS 8/8

ENDING ND| 7,100

WC|2,200
-----

• Like 2

Masato was pleased that neither Tengu nor Connor rejected his proposal. He felt the slight pulling on his Fullbring from Connors side and presumed he used his own method to attach the thread to his person. Masato never intended to inconvenience his allies with having to personally hold onto his fullbring and decided to be proactive with on Tengu’s side; allowing its strands to weave into the right shoulder area of the masked teen’s orange jacket. A quick, “that’s neat”, was heard from the teens direction, compelling Masato to smirk from flattery. He left Connor to carry the thread however he saw fit.

Connor would share the information he obtained from the Shinigami’s private conversation, as well as some hypotheses of his own. “There is no known successful communication into or out of this mist,” suddenly the crunch of contacting Seito or Yuuto when he was in a pinch was no longer available. Connors other remarks about the Shinigami weren’t any less unsettling, “Second, a total of forty Shinigami have entered this mist during the last two years. It’s hard to imagine that they didn’t send anyone moderately powerful last year.” The point of reference for the Shinigami’s strength was Yuuto, the Kaido specialist. Did he fall under the “moderately powerful” category, or was his intimidating reiatsu the average for a balancer of the worlds. He wonder ponder much on it as following a pause, the foreigner continued.  “I’m sure that you all have noticed by now that this space is shrinking progressively,” Masato, like everything else Connor seemed to observe, had no clue of this phenomenon. “Based on that, and other factors I have reason to believe that the reason this mist is filled with such a jumbled mess of reiatsu is because it possesses the ability to steadily devour energy and assimilate it,” finally, Masato could say to himself, “just like I thought,” as the mixed readings of reiatsu and the slight drain he sensed from the mist aligned perfectly with Connors presumption.  “There isn’t any guarantee that a Fullbring can guarantee our location or prevent our separation,” were Connors final words, undoubtedly directed to the cyan-clad Fullbringer. His Fullbring withheld all the natural properties of regular material and was only manipulated through reiatsu. They may not have been able to send signals with it, but its primary purpose of keeping them connected couldn’t possibly fail unless an attack powerful enough to cut through it was employed, which would’ve surely alerted him. As of now, the threads only commands were to remain in contact with Tengu and Connor, as such, they would stretch and thin as their host willed.

The eerie mist’s gradual increase in density went largely unnoticed by Masato, just as it did before outside the cemetery bounds. Similarly to then, the seemingly directionless mist began to twist around Masato, hampering his vision as the cries and whistles of the mist grew ever more intense. The motion of the mist wouldn’t last for long, nor would Masato’s blindness. Though he now was able to see, the disorienting spinning of the wailing mist left him uncertain of where he was, or in what direction he was now facing. Compounding His uncertainty further was the limited reach of his vision, roughly six feet.

Masato had gotten more accustomed to the uncomfortable randomness of the mist and calmly focused on figuring out just how misplaced he truly was, if at all. He realized that the length of the threads he attached to his allies weren’t much longer than before. Knowing that he was still relatively close to Connor and Tengu put him at ease. But as the wailing of the mist left Masato’s hearing, so too did all the ease he had. The sinister silence lasted only half a minute, but being extremely on alert of his surroundings, he would’ve sworn it was hours. The rancid stench accompanying the silence didn’t help to accelerate his perception of time either.

Masato’s anxiety only increased when the wailing of the mist resumed, louder and more refined than ever. He knew for certain that his teachers would’ve advised him against dulling a sense as vital as smell in battle, but the repugnant stench assaulted his nose and distracted his mind. The human’s only refuge from it was using his Fullbring to create a mask over his nose and mouth. His suspicions of his environment was enough to make him to increase the density of his Fullbring, this would slightly reduce the elasticity of the threads he shared with his comrades, but greatly increase their durability.

Just as Masato heightened his defense, his right leg was suddenly caught in the grasps of what appeared to be a zombie. Filtered through its wide open mouth and the holes where its cheek muscles should’ve been, was a smoke like substance, not very different from the mist the being suddenly emerged from. Much of the creature’s skin was missing revealing its mushy and slightly green muscle strands, various bones, and craters filled with worms, maggots, and undoubtedly other bugs the human hadn’t bothered to analyze. The gruesome sight was enough to paralyze Masato, as when he looked at the face of the decaying wailer, his mind couldn’t help but project the face of Yoshida Tamotsu, the man whose death Masato still blamed himself for. The once focused and determined expression Masato bore was now that of horror and confusion; had Masato’s stomach contained food, he would’ve surely regurgitated it.

Thankfully, he wouldn’t remain in his compromised state for long due only to the sudden impact of a second zombielike creature, whose appearance differed little from the first. It ran and collided into Masato’s right shoulder, pushing him forward and compelling his left leg to bear most of his own weight, in addition to the wailer’s. The second zombie stuck to Masato, with its arms wrapped over his right shoulder and under his left arm. It clawed and bit at his coat to no avail, for now it was only a nuisance for the now recomposed fighter to take care of.

From Masato’s right side, a large cyan hand grabbed pulled the second zombie off his body, giving him space to address the zombie still binding his right leg. With the fling of his right hand, a six foot long and purple blade, made with his Fullbring, stretched from the palm side of his coat and into the first zombie’s head [1/8]. His efforts weren’t enough as with his blade still stuck deep in the rotten wailer’s skull, its cries never ceased. “So destroying their brains isn’t enough,” he noted to himself internally, disappointed that the only fictional way to kill zombies didn’t work in reality. With a short kicking motion Masato freed his leg from the zombie’s clutches, then turned away from it as he raised the second zombie in the hand of his coat roughly 7 meters. With all his strength, he smashed the second wailer atop the first [2/8]. The stone ground beneath the point of impact shattered under the immense pressure of his attack, though he could still hear wailing coming from them both. From beneath the ground of the zombies, the end of Masato’s tail swiftly pierced through them both, silencing their wailing at once before it whipped back into the ground [3/8].

Masato hadn’t the chance to relax as the tolerable voice of the mist suddenly grew louder from the direction ahead. At a terrifying speed and leaping from the mist and into the fighter’s six foot long range of view, a third zombie found its way to Masato’s Fullbringer hand. He was aware of the gradual increase in the zombie’s crying and what it entailed, making intercepting the attack much easier than before. However it didn’t prevent the third zombie from trying to bite and scratch at its target, nor did frighten a fourth zombie from charging.

The speed that once surprised Masato was becoming less impressive with its every showing. The hint of louder wailing and its straightforward trajectory made predicting their approach exceedingly easy. Masato raised the blade in his right hand and cut down with it. His strike was timed perfectly with the approach of the fourth zombie, cutting it clean in half from its right shoulder down to its waist [4/8]. Due the wailers possessing frail and decomposing bodies, all of the human’s attacks met little resistance against them. The fourth wailer’s upper half plopped to floor, effectively ending its presence as a threat, though like its fallen brethren, it would take more to end its cries.

Masato had neutralized four of the Rotted Wailers, but refused to drop his vigilant guard. The halved wailer crawled in his direction, but given its distance and speed, Masato ignored it until he was certain it was the last to attack. His wait for a fifth attacker wouldn’t be long as the mist’s cries grew louder, alerting Masato to prepare for another one. But unlike those previous, the warning cry was more ominous and directionless, making it nearly impossible for Masato to predict which way it would approach. The mist above Masato parted briefly as a decaying body, much larger than those before it, came falling from where he stood. Masato used a single Bringerlight to narrowly escape the incoming zombie, as mist quickly filled the hole its falling body created. The unique nature of this wailer was instantly apparent as although it was torn in many places, the costume it wore was certainly that of Jason Vorhees; the holes in its mask and dual machetes it wielded left no room for doubt.

In less than seconds, the decomposing cosplayer had leaped with a swing from his left blade, that cut a great portion of Masato’s Fullbring hand, and completely through the zombie it held. Following the rhythm of the initial blade, the second continued at Masato’s hand, cutting even deeper and almost severing its thumb. As the bladed wailer landed, it didn’t let up its assault and in a crouching position, finished a full 360 degree spin with two slashes. The first, targeted Masato’s left leg just above his ankles. Masato evaded by simply raising his leg. The second, aimed at Masato’s left oblique. He blocked it with his purple blade, which he still held in his right hand. The connecting of their blades created a resounding clank and emitted yellow sparks, before Masato pushed his angled downward blade against the wailer’s. Though the human successfully repelled the wailer’s attack and obstructed its momentum, it still managed to make an attempt for the fighter’s throat with its left blade as it fell. It proved futile as Masato evaded by slightly pulling his head back. The chef wailer would continue its decent following Masato’s repel but, uncharacteristically of its kind, a graceful flip was performed before its landing.

Masato didn’t watch idly as the wailer performed its gymnastics; He grabbed the halved torso of the fourth wailer and threw it just where the fifth landed. As the wailers connected and with the use of Bringer-light, Masato rushed in front of the stack zombies and with a charged attack, impaling them through their chests [5/8]. The crying of the halved wailer ceased while the other leaped back, freeing itself from Masato’s sword, but not before the human instinctively sliced upward, partially separating its right shoulder and everything it controlled from the rest of its body.

The zombie was effectively one arm short, greatly decreasing its potential as a threat given its reliance on both its machetes. In light of its debilitating handicap, the wailer lost none of its persistence and charged Masato again, it’s right arm dangling at the behest of gravity. Masato reacted with no time to spare, blocking the series of quick slashes and stabs from the wailer. The onslaught kept Masato on the defensive and pushed him back to the initial corpses he destroyed. He waited for an easy counter, and that opportunity would arise when the wailer attacked at full force. The strike angled downward and Masato used minimal effort to parry the attack, allowing it to continue pass him and leaving his opponent vulnerable. With a swift and dismissive swoosh, the Fullbringer decapitated the corpse causing its severed head to tumble onto the ground; its final roll in sync with its last wheezing cry.

Unmasked, Masato briefly explored the stone pathway he battled on, aware of all the dark spatters he walked by, until reaching what he was in search of. Upon meeting it Masato wasn’t uncertain which of them found the other, as the third wailer crawled with a single arm, also in search of its prey. Masato flattened the desperate wailer before recalling his Fullbringer weapons and defenses. By his assumption, had there been any more zombies immediately around him, they would’ve pounced on him sooner. “Are you guys okay?” He called into the mist and his new acquaintance, hoping that they hadn’t fallen by the hands of the zombies. In the distraction of his own battle, he failed to notice the ones that waged around him, and the pulling of his Fullbringer thread which they caused.

WC: 2185

ND: 7320-150=7170

BASE STATS 

Spoiler

REIASTU: 87,000

CLASS: TANK/BRUTE

STRENGTH – REIRYOKU: 125/50%

NATURAL DEFENSE (ND): 6720

POWER: 89 (10+79)

STAMINA: 123 (5+118)

PERCEPTION: 84 (5+79) 

SPEED: 84 (5+79) 

REIRYOKU SPEED: 61

THROWING SPEED: 111

ACTIONS

Spoiler

Incomplete Fullbring release-Ketsugō hoshoku-sha (binding predator) : +4 to all stats

Katai Sozai (Hard Materials) 2nd Passive :  Masato can completely harden his entire coat or portions of it. Attacks done to the coat while it is hardened but not as a shield are counted as partial blocks.

Kōgu (cutting tool): Masato hardens the material of his coat in the shape of various weapons.

Edited by Mumen Writer
  • Like 2

[Elsewhere In The Baleful Mist]

Spoiler

Kanada and Alice giggled and snickered as they playfully scurried across the stone walkway leading to the old shrine grounds. The outgoing and adventurous Kanada mostly led the way as he held Alice's hand and guided her through the mist. Kanada was an 18 year old freshman in college, born and raised in Karakura. Alice was also a freshmen at Kanada's college, but she was born and raised in Belgium and had only moved to Japan with her father and mother; both of whom were rather established doctors newly hired at Karakura Hospital. In addition to a few classes, Kanada and Alice had quite a few things in common. Like, their shared struggles in passing many of those aforementioned classes. Their borderline addiction to Pachinko parlors. Their great appreciation of terrible low-budget horror movies. And, of course, their budding romance. One could quite easily guess which combination of their shared interests had informed and motivated the couple's decision to sneak into the old cemetery on the night of Halloween, rather convincingly costumed as zombies.

If the answer wasn't obvious: their bubbly romance had stirred in Kanada the desire to impress Alice with his masculine bravery. They could sneak into the old cemetery, run and dance freely around the graves without any sort of worry because Kanada was there and he'd protect them. On Alice's part, she simply wanted to spend time with Kanada, it didn't matter where in particular, although she had been curious about the antics they could get into and she'd never been to a cemetery before, let alone an old abandoned one. Their combined academic struggles had been so mentally-exhausting and time-consuming that in the entire week leading up to the holiday neither of them had the time, inclination, or foresight to bother watching the news. The shared passion for god-awful low-budget horror movies had only reinforced their commitment to what was sure to be an unforgettable date. It was also the inspiration for their costumes; Alice, the undead bride murdered on her wedding night by a kitchen knife through the heart; Kanada, the sorrowful groom with the wire cable noose around his neck. Lastly, their addiction to Pachinko arcades reflected that the couple were no strangers to gambling. They'd simply gone a step above gambling with their wallets to gambling with their very lives. 

It was a short trip from the shrine gate to the main hall, and the couple wasted no time getting inside and closing the door behind them. They paused to catch their breaths and laughed as they looked around the shrine building. It was empty and surprisingly just as dense with mist as the outside was. "Come on.", Kanada, as he took Alice's hand again and started to lead her further into the building, angled beams of moonlight pouring into the large echoing and empty room from the right and left sides and illuminated their path. "Where are we going, Kanada?" Alice giggled curiously.
"Just a little further." Kanada assured right before he peeled off to the left and disappeared into the mist, leaving Alice alone standing in a beam of moonlight. She giggled again but when Kanada did not reply and silence filled the room, she shuddered. "Kanada... Kanada where are you? Stop messing around its not funny." Alice stood in the light and crossed her arms. She looked into the mist, in the direction Kanada had disappeared. "Kanada, come on!" Alice waited a moment longer, she could feel herself growing more nervous by the second as her heart pounded faster and harder in her chest. "Kanada, where are you?" Alice stepped out of the circle of light and into the mist. In that very moment a shadow stepped into the light behind her. 

"Behind you!" Kanada shouted, jump-scaring Alice. The poor young woman yelped as she leaped and threw her arms up. Her scream echoed through the room. Kanada burst into laughter and hugged his girlfriend from behind. "You asshole!" Alice exclaimed as she slapped his arms but it wasn't long before she joined in on the joke. The excitement was exhilarating and the bubbly couple both felt an urge coming on. Alice turned in Kanada's arms wrapped herself around him before planting her lips firmly against his. Kanada welcomed the advance completely. He trailed his hands down Alice's back, over the curve of her butt and finally against her thighs before, with just a bit of struggle, he lifted Alice off her feet and carried her into the mist. Kanada walked Alice just a few feet and pinned her against the wall. Alice, giggled nervously as Kanada got a lot more physical and started to reach under her cheap ballgown wedding dress. "Wait, should we do this here, isn't it a bit inappropriate." Alice asked as she timidly looked around. Kanada, like a true gentleman, paused to offer his partner some reassuring words, "It's fine." He whispered flatly before planting his face against Alice's neck and kissed it tenderly as his hands wandered elsewhere. That was all it took to convince Alice and she complained no further. The indulging couple would not hear the ominous whistle in the mist or the creaking of the shrine door as it slowly cracked open.

------

Chance of Encounter: 75% (Second Wave Incoming)

[Connor - Ryūnosuke - Masato]

Merely moments after the defeat of the first wave of Rotted Wailers the howls and shrieking of the second wave of the horde began. Near Connor, several of the Rotted Wailers jumped down on him, having at some point climbed branches of the surrounding dead trees. Others simply ran at him from all around. Several of the Rotten Wailers began to violently latch onto the lines of threads connecting the trio, as if they were targeting the threads specifically. They pulled the threads from both ends. Two groups of Rotted Wailers attacked Masato directly from his right and left. As he followed Masato's thread Ryūnosuke would eventually come face to with some of the Rotted Wailers pulling the thread. A few would shift the focus to him and charge directly at him while a greater wave of crawling Rotted Wailers circled him, they stick just within of his view and periodically pounce through the air at him. As the trio dealt with the immediate threat, hundreds upon hundred of Rotted Wailers would begin to mass around their location. There seemed to be no hope of the attacks ever stopping. 

------

[Oriru - Hitsuyona]

There would be no moment of rest for the captain, former-commander, and the well-read Lieutenant. As the mist all around them began to violently spin into a vortex that towered six meters into the sky and closed off at the top, forming a dome. In the eye of the storm were Oriru, Hitsuyona, and Genshi. The bodies of the defeated Rotted Wailers rattled all over the ground before they were sucked up into the vertex of mist that howled and wailed from all around. Outside of the vortex hundreds of Rotten Wailers stood idle, surrounding the spinning body of mist. Periodically droves of the Rotted Wailers would suddenly charge towards the vortex and be sucked into it. The Shinigami could see the countless decaying corpses spinning and wailing within the dense swirling haze. The black rods of Reiatsu could also be seen dissipating into the gust of Baleful Mist. Without warning the Rotten Wailers would begin to shoot inwards upon the three Shinigami. There were several Wailers that targeted Oriru's orbs directly. They would attempt to latch onto the orbs and pull them back into the mist vortex while others charged for Oriru himself. Hitsuyona had been closest to the wall of the vortex when it formed, a pair of decays arms reached out for him from within the vortex and grabbed his shirt from behind, lifting him into the air. Other limbs would also reach out for his arms, legs, and face and attempt to pull him into the vortex.

Genshi was the least fortunate of the three. Ten Rotten Wailer's shot out of the mist upon her at once and quickly dragged her towards the vortex of Baleful Mist. Genshi struggled to fight her way free, but to no avail. Her right arm was first pulled into the vortex and she screamed in pain. She managed to jerk her arm free for a moment. Except she hadn't. The Lieutenant looked down, stunned in horror, and gawked at the place where her right forearm should have been. There was only a stub there now, that appeared to be transforming into a gaseous stream of Reiatsu that was being sucked into the vortex. Genshi turned her head to face Oriru and show him, but just as she made eye contact a decaying skeletal arm wrapped it five fingers of long curled and filthy nails around the back of her head and Genshi was yanked into the vortex, her body quickly evaporating into a mist of Reiatsu and for a moment Oriru alone would here a distinct wail that was Genshi's as her soul joined Nyujin's in the collective of Shinigami souls trapped within the mist.   

[Instructions: Survive/Escape. Defeat the wave and attempt to leave before more Rotted Wailers have the chance to target you. This wave is a bit more difficult and designed to force you guys to discuss a strategy OOCly to use your combined abilities to resolve the situation as efficiently and creatively as possible.]

------------------------

Spoiler

Rotted Wailers: Unearthed bodies of the dead, mysteriously reanimated by the power of the Mists. The are all in the later stages of physical decay. They travel exclusively in hordes, if one is seen alone, make no mistake that others are nearby. The Rotted Wailers appear to have no free will of their own and appear to have a hive-mind mentality. Rotted Wailers have a limited range of physical capabilities, they have considerable agility but their actions seem limited to charging and thrashing at intended targets. Nevertheless, what the wailers lack in dexterity, they make up for in sheer numbers. The primary battle tactic of the Rotted Wailers is to overwhelm the target, pinning them down by any means necessary. The Rotted Wailers travel in almost complete silence, the nature of the mist also makes them virtually undetectable through sensory abilities. Luckily, as their name suggests, the Rotted Wailers announce their presence when they attack, mainly through sickening wails, shrieks, and howls. Mist called Baleful Breath pours profusely from the decrepit bodies of the Rotted Wailers like smoke, mostly from the mouths. They seem to use this property of their physicality to accelerate the effect of the Baleful Mist.

Baleful Breath: Coming in contact with the mist pouring from Rotted Wailers does direct ND Drain for every Rotted Wailer remaining in your proximity (those still targeting you) at the end of your turn. Example: Oriru Encounters 10 Rotted Wailers with 100 Baleful Breath. He manages to destroy 5 of them by the end of his post. He would take 500 ND Damage at the end of his post.

Connor Targeted By 19 Rotted Wailers | Ryūnosuke Targeted By 13 Rotted Wailers | Masato Targeted By 8 Rotted Wailers 

Masato's Threads Are Being Targeted By 10 Rotted Wailers Each. All three of you will lose 50 ND for each of them that remain at the end of the last person in your group's turn.

---------

Oriru Targeted By 13 Rotted Wailers +1 For Each Of His Orbs | Hitsuyona Targeted By 21 Rotted Wailers + Hitsuyona will lose 800 ND if the Rotten Wailers Manage to Pull him into the Vortex.

Baleful Mist Vortex. Contains 20 Rotted Wailers. You both will lose 100 ND for each of them that remain at the end of the last person in your group's turn. The Vortex Wailers will only do ND Damage if you stay within the Vortex. It costs a flat 1000 ND to exit the Vortex if there is even 1 Wailer inside. It will only cost 150 to escape if there are no Wailers inside.

*ChaosKaiz Was Paying Attention And Got Special Roll: 50% Chance to make a barrier that allows either Hitsuyona or Oriru to escape the Vortex for free. PASSED with a whopping 2!

---------

Rotted Wailers Stats & Information: 

Reiatsu: ???,??? (Not affected by Reiatsu Differences)

HP: 2 Hit (If Attack is 100 Power or Higher. 3 Hits if Attack is Lower than 100)

Speed: 140 

Physical Strength: 140 

Baleful Breath: 50 (Masato - Connor - Hitsuyona NPCs) | 100 (Ryūnosuke - Oriru NPCs)

Disengagement: Rotted Wailer are incapable of making defensive maneuvers and take any damage inflicted directly to their HP. Only when they hit zero HP are the Rotted Wailers truly destroyed. It is possible to run away from the Rotted Wailer's temporarily as long as the method of escape is reasonable. Fleeing prevents ND Damage from Baleful Breath. HOWEVER, the Rotten Wailers will endlessly pursue each turn and be added to the total number of enemies targeting your character (which has the potential to accumulate with each turn.)

• Like 2