masail19

Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder, Tabletop Rpgs In General

Hi,I figured there's bound to be some roleplayers here with experience with tabletop RPGs. I mostly play D&D 4E now, but I'm planning a short campaign transitioning my players into Pathfinder. Although we're all agreed on the idea of the transition, it poses challenges for us as many of the details get confused. They're both d20 System RPGs, but as always, the devil is in the details.

Since we play on RPG Table Online now, I decided to stick to the same table on this planned campaign, even though it has a lot of limitations, that way at least something would be familiar to the newbies among them. I consider myself to be a system agnostic game master, willing to learn any system as long as I have a solid campaign to run. Right now, I'm planning to take my group into the Tomb of Horrors. That should be memorable. :happy:

Anyway, I'm opening up this topic as a general discussion for any tabletop players or gamemasters to discuss their gaming experience.

Have fun,

masail19 :misc_Vinyl2:

Current Campaign

Guardians of the Vale (Dungeons & Dragons 4E) -- RPG Table Online

Planned Campaigns

Return to the Tomb of Horrors (Pathfinder) -- RPG Table Online

(Pathfinder) -- TBA Edited by masail19

I'll be done with 4E at the end of this campaign. There are too many situational mechanics in it for me, they don't offer enough adventures, and I'm getting pretty tired of the bad press it gets anyway. While realism has an important place in RPGs, my problem with it has become more of the system treating my players like computers rather than people. I can forgive unrealistic mechanics, but I don't want to stay with a system hampered with unplayable mechanics and a lack of decent adventure support. I like playing D&D more than creating everything for it. Pathfinder at least provides a system that is both workable and accessible, there's tons of adventure support, and even feels more backward-compatible with older editions than 4e ever did.

Anybody who seriously wants to keep 4e on their table my advice is this -- don't. I don't believe it's worth the hassle, and you have to pay for convenient access to any real resources anyway. Pathfinder takes a little longer to learn, but it's a skill that rewards players and DMs with a rich and stable play experience and a ton of adventure resources to draw from.

Well, I was determined to end my 4E run on a good note, and last week it did. :)

Our heroes bested the dragon and were transported through a dimensional anomaly to the Lands of Porphyra, where they can retire in relative peace. (Or get a ship and go pirating. They talked about that a while ago as their plan for their characters' fate.)

Next up is a test run using the Porphyra setting and the module, Expedition to Barrier Peaks. This has no continuity effect whatever, so it's pretty much no holds barred on my end. There's some pretty odd encounters and monsters waiting there. Once they get a chance to get a handle on the new mechanics, it'll be time for the Return to the Tomb of Horrors, which is a mini-campaign in itself. :D

I would suggest 3.5 E for D&D. Never heard of pathfinder may look into it. Also my family has a tabletop Marvel rp similar to D&D as well.

I would suggest 3.5 E for D&D. Never heard of pathfinder may look into it. Also my family has a tabletop Marvel rp similar to D&D as well.

The interesting thing is that Pathfinder is basically an OGL update to the D&D 3.5 ruleset. It's sometimes nicknamed D&D 3.75, but I like to think of it as simply Pathfinder D&D. You can find out more about it at (http://paizo.com, and http://d20pfsrd.com).

Well, I was determined to end my 4E run on a good note, and last week it did. :)

Our heroes bested the dragon and were transported through a dimensional anomaly to the Lands of Porphyra, where they can retire in relative peace. (Or get a ship and go pirating. They talked about that a while ago as their plan for their characters' fate.)

Next up is a test run using the Porphyra setting and the module, Expedition to Barrier Peaks. This has no continuity effect whatever, so it's pretty much no holds barred on my end. There's some pretty odd encounters and monsters waiting there. Once they get a chance to get a handle on the new mechanics, it'll be time for the Return to the Tomb of Horrors, which is a mini-campaign in itself. :D

The first session in Pathfinder left us all impressed. None of the players was left out in the coolness factor, and on top of that, the morlocks, the froghemoth, and the mind flayer I used all kept the players on their toes. No longer have I felt locked into a one-sided adventure. We all got to shine and I've come wonderfully close to killing one of the party. The strongest one! :)

I can hardly wait until the creature I lifted from Call of Cthulhu d20 makes its appearance in this battle. The funny part is, Pathfinder actually plays better on a game table than 4e ever did. It's a little more complicated, but not in a way that makes it too difficult to run.

Haha Have I converted you to pathfinder?

Lol. You have befriended me. I've been into Pathfinder for a year before I decided to end my 4E campaign. And I'm liking how things turned out so far. Some of my players find this system a little confusing, but they're having fun just the same. I tend to be ad-hoc with rules too. Unless someone knows a rule right off, if I don't know a ruling, I use the DM's best friend to keep things from shutting down for the sake of a ruling. It isn't a video game, but it isn't homework club, either.

I never got to play a mind flayer until I converted one from 3.5E to Pathfinder. It's kind of fun. I have one player character grappled with one tentacle. I'm thinking of asking him, when I Improved Grab him with the other three, "Now Graymon, why would you make a good thrall?"

I'm into playing D&D on online game tables. Since I'm using the Pathfinder system, you wouldn't happen to know of a player friendly online table, would you? The RPG Table Online I'm using now is far too simple and limits both the DM and players too much. You can't even create tokens for it. I'm looking for one that's more customizable but still easy to use. Right now I'm thinking about Roll20. Do you have a suggestion?

Garod

I've never played a tabletop rpg like d&d but would be interested in playing it if anyone was willing to let a complete noob try playing with ye(wouldn't be able to play in real life for certain reasons)